Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can my K10 pull my other K10

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 01maroonz71, Apr 16, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

they're both LWB trucks, and my DD has 38grapplers and im going 3/4ton real soon. right now it has 3.73's in it, and i plan on going to 4.56. with my 14boltFF rear, will it have anyproblems pulling my other LWB K10 on a trailer. i plan on making it a trail rig only and i need to be able to get it around and i don't wanna sell my DD(silver truck) since i love it. anybody do this???? should i box my frame??? or should i just forget about it cause it ain't gonna happen???

thanks guys
    ~dave

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

How dare you use my truck for towing! Don't make me come down there and kick your !@$#%&* :haha:

3. 01maroonz71

it'll be good for it. i know what your plannin to do with mine, wail on it in the mud once you can, so towing with yours ain't gonna really hurt it. just watch those panels when you drop it in the mud man, don't scratch my paint too bad. :)

37people viewed this, and nobody knows about the towing??? come on'

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Haha,

I think I scared them away on you. They don't know about our swap. Seriously though, I wouldn't recommend you tow your K10 with the other K10. Here's why. If you weighed the K10 you wanna tow, I'd bet she comes in around 3 tons or a little more. Add the weight of the trailer and you're possibly shooting 4 tons. That is a lot of dead weight to pull. Even the best trailer hitch is rated at a tongue of 500 and maximum 5000 pound load. Now look that your beautiful 83 is lifted on 38's??? Don't think it's a good idea.

That's why you should just bring that silver beauty west, and I'll give her a good home and she can make sweet love to my big blue stud. :D

Manny

5. 01maroonz71

hahaha manny, the can make sweet sweet longbed love, and the offspring will be a really long bed. damn. yeah, im planning on NOT towing with my 83, but i jsut wanted to see if it was at all possible. im gonna get me a dodge 2500cummins i think. i really want one.

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

[​IMG]

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

gotta disagree with you here. my class V stock hitch is rated for more. granted you need to use a weight distributing hitch but thats should be a given when towing more weight then the tow vehicle.

here is apic of the tag on my hitch. 12000 lbs when used with a weight distributing setup.

38's don't make towing any easier but if your truck has the power and a good tranny cooler you can do it once you step up to 4.56 gears. with the gears you have now it will put too much strain on the engine and trans.

hitch.jpg

8. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I sit here, corrected. Thanks for bring that up. Didn't even know that a Class V existed for our rigs. I was under the impression Class I-III. You da Man! I need to clarify my remarks a lil better.

Sorry Dave!

Thanks Chas!

Manny

9. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yah, class 5. The stock 89-99 1/2 ton hitch is the same as the 3/4 and 1 ton verisons. The hitch can handle 10k, but the truck on the other hand.....

10. 01maroonz71

manny...nice family tree we got goin on.....but, word on the street is one of my grandkids ran off with a ford. i know, in this day in age, but still.

ill let it slide this time. im gonna regear and see how she handles, it...if my truck doesn't feel safe at all...then ill get a cummins sooner than later. thanks ya'll!!!