Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can people in prison vote?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Oct 25, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

what's the rule on that?

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I thought convicted felons lost that right along with their 2nd amendment rights.

John

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

For the most part no.
    Two states do allow it, Maine & Vermont IIRC.
    Many states also ban you from voting even after you've served your time.

4. colbystephens

5. armyfiredawg

armyfiredawg Registered Member

Well i understand that you can't vote after being convicted of a felony, however what if you in county lockup for a midemeanor?

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No. You can't vote if you are a felon. Even those with aggravated misdemeanors can not vote if they are locked up. Doesn’t matter if in the joint or out on the streets, if a person has been convicted of a felony, they can not vote. I do believe you can still vote with misdemeanors and aggravated misdemeanors, but would only be too vote if not currently incarcerated.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Usually no .

Although basic rights can be reinstated in the state the offense occured in AFTER the sentence or probation is served . Some states even reinstate the firearm rights . It depends on nature of offense , and other hoops to jump through .

And although the Federal reinstatement procedure never gets any funding , the US code ( If you read title 18 carefully ) will regonize the reinstatement of the State that reinstates .

None of us are angels . I am ok with some people who REALLY do change , and ARE NOT convicted of a heinous crime , to go through the channels to get their rights back .

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've thought too try too get a pardon for all the stupid crap I did as a kid and young adult, but I highly doubt that I'd get it. So I can't vote, I do express my views and opinions to those who can vote. My mother used too be a Democrap. I've convinced her that the democrats of 30+ years ago and the democraps of today are completely different on the issues. So I can't legally own a firearm. Honestly, it hasn't stopped me from owning guns. I usely don't keep them where I live, but occasionally one might be here over night. I also can not obtain a liquor license because of my felony record. I do not own a bar or liquor store, so that issue is moot. I do not break the law other then the speed limit every once in a great while, and having guns. (I love too go a shootin’, but no public outdoors shooting ranges near where I currently live.) So I guess it all doesn’t really matter.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I would venture to guess that if you lost your right to vote ,you wouldn't care and would probably go about doing other things to break the law instead of trying to go about doing it legally.^^^^^^^^^^^^:rolleyes:

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yes , for the most part . However , some people can , and do , change after sitting in a 4x8 box for awhile :wink1:

11. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Some have tried to petition:
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/456501425?ltl=1161799045

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Missed it by that much...:haha:What I meant was that most of them would not care, they would just be happy continuing to break the law or convince their Mothers to vote for their party...:wink1:

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Really depends on the person. Some will never change. Then you'll run into people like myself who "grow up". I fully admit in my youth I didn't care what happened. I didn't worry about getting busted for selling dope. All I saw was dollor signs. Now that I'm older, it's too much too risk for crap I don't want in my life anymore. I gave up the dope and everything that comes along with the dope life. I no longer have too keep a eye out for the Po-Po everywhere I go. I believe change is possible for anyone. Heck, look at me. I was a dope dealer / dope user. I never was a thief, but still had the same mind set as most criminals. Didn't care how my "F"ed up actions effected others. Like I said, now that I'm older, I do think about that. I am concerned with how my actions effect my family and friends. So if I can change, there is no reason anybody couldn’t. Anyone who thinks people can't change must be reather closed minded, and I truely feel sorry for them.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My guess is that it becomes difficult to get to their polling place...

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They have no trouble gettint to the polling place but the hanging chads are real chitty...:haha: :haha: :haha:

16. colbystephens

in some states (i.e. oregon) you vote by mail. it's a really great system... that's why the neighbor's dog fluffy-la-roo and the other neighbors cat, buttons, were able to vote for john kerry last time. it's great, because they aren't allowed to ask you to supply id... illegals can get around the system here and vote too. wonderful.

17. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I think they just get the pole :confused:

:D :wink1: :p: :D

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

But at least they get to vote. "Hmmm, with or without lube........decisions, decisions, decisions......"

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Good point, I forgot about the mail-in ballots.

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just vote for Democrats! They will pass laws to make sure that criminals/terrorists/and child molesters in prison will be able to vote as many times as they want.
    After all. Scumbags have a constitutional right to fuk up your life too.