Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can rusty spindels be fixed? Please dont say my axel is junk...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Mar 2, 2001.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

On my 14ff I noticed where the seal on the hub seats up to the smooth tapered edge of the axel there is some pitted rust on one side and raised grooves on the other. I tried to sand the rust down and it is pretty smooth now but I dont want to finish building this if its junk. Will this be a leaky problem in the future? Can it be fixed?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You can keep it if you install a Speedy-Sleeve. Read all about it in Stoopalini's web site. Check the User List and scroll til you get to Stoopalini.

3. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

If you sanded smooth, you will need to put in a speedy sleeve like K30 says, or I can gaurentee it will leak. Putting a lite coat of sealer between the sleeve and the spindle will help keep it from leaking when you install it.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Hey Mouse,

It will definitely leak if you don't do something about the groove. The rust is normal, but the groove will cause you problems.

You will need to do one of two thigns:
    1) replace the spindle
    2) install a Speedi Sleeve Kit

You can check out my speedi sleeve writeup (with pics) http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Hey stoop, That looks exactly like my problem. I spent the day calling around looking for the sleeve and no place around here can get it. NAPA did have one for the 14SF but they were pretty dumb. Did you order yours online or thru a company? Do the kits come with two sleeves or just one and what are the part #'s. Also how did you tap it in place the installation tool the kit comes with looks too short to go all the way down the spindle.
    Thanks all
    Brent

6. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Hey Mouse, no problem.

The NAPA part # is written right into the write-up. It's "Oil Seal p/n: 99282"

And also there is a pic of how I got the sleeve to go in. I used a rubber mallot. The pic is before I tapped it into place, but it does line up properly once it is tapped all the way in.

I got them from the NAPA warehouse. I'm lucky enough to have one right here in Austin. I wouldn't even bother telling them what your problem is, just ask them for "Oil Seal p/n: 99282".

Oh, and you'll need two kits.

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>