Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can some one explain this to me?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Oct 4, 2002.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

went to the local tire store today and looked at some tires, before i went i measured my 32's, and they are really 29's, measured the 35x12.50's that i want but they measure 33. WTF? where can i get a true 35" tire? do i have to get a 38 for it to be 35? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

It all depends on the brand of tire and also the size wheel it's mounted to. There are 35's that are truely 35 inches. You just gotta shop around. If I recal, Grim Reaper measured his 35x12.50x15 BFG/MT on 10" rim and was right at 35 inches.

Tires will also measure differently when unmounted. Something to consider.

Also many tire manufacturers have specs of the actual tire size when mounted on a given sized wheel. Just search online or possibly the brochures at the tire shop.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Just search online or possibly the brochures at the tire shop.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just cuz you see it in print somewhere doesn't make it true...they all lie! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Swampers are usually closer to advertised than most other brands...but even Interco is optimistic with their sizing. My 36" TSL's with 25%-30% tread left were 35" exactly.

Rene

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My 36" TSL's with 25%-30% tread left were 35" exactly.

[/ QUOTE ] That sounds about right. The tread depth on those tires is pretty huge when they're new. So if you wore 'em down a half-inch, then that would be a loss of one inch in total height. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

My 36" TSLs with 100% tread laeft are right at 36" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

my 38 tsl's messured 37 1/2 when new /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

from what i understand super swampers measure differently and those are basically the only true measurement tire. SO a 35" superswamper would actually be 35". But anything else would be a little smaller cause of the way they measure. Not positive on this but its what i have heard from several people /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

When I got my new 32x11.5x15 Wrangler AT/S tires I sat them next to my old 31x10.5x15 Wrangler GSA (with 45K miles) and the AT/S tires where a good three inches taller (unmounted side by side). I think it has something to do with width and air pressure also. Its all advertising.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif