Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can somebody explain reverse/manual valve body

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater74, Jan 25, 2006.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

the art carr TH-350 VALVE BODY/MANUAL/REVERSE PATTERN OFF ROAD. they don't explain much on their web site. so what does this do? does this turn your auto into a manual of sorts? must you now shift from 1 to 2 to 3rd manualy?

what does this do the shift pattern? does this move revers next to first gear?

has anybody run this set up?

http://www.artcarr.com/storm.cfm?funnelaction=10&ProductID=7003

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

This might answer a question or two:

http://www.artcarr.com/instructions/13505.pdf

3. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

reverse manual means the shift pattern changes to p-r-n-1-2-3-4 rather than p-r-n-4-3-2-1 and it will not shift by itself so it basicaly makes it a manual trans and makes it so you can run a ratchet shifter without haveing to go all the way for first gear. i have run a B&M set up and it was a hoot to drive but DO NOT let other people drive it lol. art carr has been around and a good name in automatic trans.

balzer

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

What the others have said and You've pretty much got it. I've got a TCI reverse manual valve body th350 style and I know MiniWally(sp) is running the same thing (he's said in the past that he loves it). TCI has compression brakeing in 1st and 2nd also, not sure about AC.

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ya I have the TCI reverse manual valve body in my buggy and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. IMO The only thing you have to watch is that they run full line pressure all the time and on all shifts. A down shift in four low with good traction will send you out the windsheild if you are not going real slow.
    My tranny guy says that the way the achive all of this will probably reduce the life span of the tranny but he is not real familiar with them so he is not real sure.

I would stay away from Art carr if it was me. Have known people that have had real problems with their junk.

The TCI product has been great to me.

7. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i would stay away from tci. I had a tci th350 reverse manual valve body in my elcamino years ago with a 3000 stall from tci and all that **** blew up within a year even with a 30,00 gvw cooler and this was in a car with 450hp small block. I thought that was lame so they sent my another convertor and used it in a th400 with the same style valve body that i had to buy again because no warranty on valve bodys and blew that up in 6 months. Found another th400 to rebuild and put a turbo action reverse manual valve body and that still works today (5 years later, granted i dont drive it as much) with a Art Carr convertor. Warning any manual valve body will shift real hard and will chirp tires in all gears because of full line pressure at all times.

8. miniwally

I would have to say that you were probably pushing the limits of a th350 putting it behind a built small block. That is my take on it.

I will still stand behind TCI, I belive anybody can have a problem with anything but I have serious problems with Art Carr.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

FYI -

This might be old news to everyone, but Art Carr sold the company of his namesake "Art Carr Transmissions" so he's not involved with them anymore.

He has a new company "California Performance Transmissions???" or something like that. He has been on Overhaulin' a few times because he donates trannies to their builds.

So for what it's worth, you might want to consider that Art Carr (the transmission shop) has nothing to do with Art Carr (the person) anymore.... I haven't heard much about Art's new shop, but if you want a transmission from him, you need to make sure you go to the "real" place to get it.

10. miniwally

That is correct Greg. I have not heard of many dealings with Cali. Perf. Trannies. I.e. the person Art Carr. I know Art carr has a good reputation with a bunch of people.

Art Carr transmissions is who has had bad dealings with people that I am real close to.

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

A question then; with a 383,350 with a reverse valve body, and a Detroit, would that make for scary winter road driving?

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I guess it would depend on your definition of scary:D

Ira

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Is there such a thing as a reverse non manual valve body for a TH350?

14. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks for the input. i will be running the th350 behind a 4.3 to hp is not an issue with me :D . i'll have to look at those TCI valve bodies.

hey Wally what shifter are you running with you TCI?

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I would like to see a reverse manual that still has an auto setting, either PNR123D or PNRD1234. Then you could use it as a manual or an auto.

16. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Doesnt the hurst vmatic 2 do that? IIRC this shifter could switch between ratchet mode and regular. Please correct me if I am wrong. It has been a few years since I have looked at them.

Ok I just went and looked up that shifter and I think maybe i was wrong.

I did find this one though: http://www.hurst-shifters.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandId=2&productID=3704136&majID=800&minID=8002&selection=&minselection=

Maybe something like that would work????

17. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Errrrr.....?:confused:

How 'bout a forward non manual auto full reverse automatic for a manual...

:haha:

BTW, I think manual v-body is the sh!t.... I happen to like the forward pattern better tho. Somehow it's easier to bang thru when haulin'.....

Marv

18. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

you would think that a full manual would help the life of the tranny because it has more line pressure=less clutch slippage. Atleast I hope it would be this way with a th400. I hope so because I am tired of putting autos in my truck (3-700r4's until I got this Jet 400). I put in the reverse full manual with compression braking in that jet 400 and I am hoping it will last. I havent ran it yet but I will soon. I understand that it might be harder on other components (planetaries and such) but the 400 is a hell of a tranny, and my 383 isnt putting out killer big torque.