Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can somebody please help me? Possible tranny problem.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tj_k5, Feb 22, 2004.

1. tj_k5

tj_k5 Registered Member

For the past month or so my truck would "buck" during acceleration with no rhyme or reason. What I mean by this is there was no specific rpm or speed this would happen at. It almost felt like the engine was cutting out but I wouldn't suspect it to be the engine because it would idle perfectly and would also rev just fine when the truck was in park or neutral. Also I noticed that the tranny lines at the radiator leaked a bit but I tried to keep an eye on the fluid level. Also, I tried some stuff I bought from the auto parts store that was supposed to "restore" your tranny. It was the Lucas tranny additive and when I added this stuff to the tranny it seemed to fix the problem temporarily and slowly but surely the problem would come back. I rarely drive the truck in overdrive even though I run 4.56 gears with 37's.

So the other day I had to make a long trip where I drove it at highway speed for about 2 hours and then it sat for an hour and I went to make the trek back and about an hour into my trip the truck just completly shut off and white smoke just plumed from my truck so bad that the people behind me had to pull over. So I coasted to the side of the road and called AAA. When I got the truck home I checked all the fluid levels with the truck off and the tranny fluid looked brand new still.

Now the truck wont start. It will turn over but it won't run. The tranny is a 700R4 and was supposedly rebuilt 5000 miles ago. The engine was also rebuilt with about 5000 miles. Can somebody please help me? I don't know the first thing about trannys. My first inclination was to just drop a TH400/NP205 setup but I just spent a load of money on my NP241 SYE and CV driveshaft and would hate to start over again.

Also just to be thourough I had jut got a dual exhaust setup put in and after I got that done is when the problem seemed to arise. Could this be an engine problem? Thanks ahead of time for your help. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

What kind of motor do you have, computer controlled or carb'd?

Let me reask the question after reading your profile, is this for the '91 truck?

3. tj_k5

tj_k5 Registered Member

Yup, for the '91. Bone stock TBI 350.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

How many miles on it?

5. tj_k5

tj_k5 Registered Member

Supposedly it has 5000 miles on it but the truck itself has 90000 or so. The engine itself does look pretty clean so I have no good reason to believe it wasn't rebuilt.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

You've checked for spark, and fuel delivery from the injectors? start with the basics especially fuel delivery, have someone crank over the engine and see if any fuel is coming out of the injectors. 90k on the truck, it's gettin close to that time where a fuel pump is going to be needed.

7. tj_k5

tj_k5 Registered Member

Actually, thats another thing. I just put a 43 gallon tanks and new fuel pump on it too.

8. tj_k5

tj_k5 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif ttt /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. FWP

FWP CRS

It all sounds engine related to me. Ignition problems likely.

The white smoke, was that out the exhuast? Head gasket maybe. Does a 700R4 have a vacuum line? I don't remember.

Also- check engine codes- got any?

List everything you have checked so far so we can help you better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif