Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone clear this up? (brakes)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Apr 27, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, correct me if Im wrong. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

On brakes: Would the back brakes not applying eually case the rig to want to pull (whole truck wise, not steering wheel) to that direction of the most drag/poll (depending on your voacabulary) **Damn Im full of **it** tonight**

And if the fronts were not creating the equal amount of friction, that would grab the steering wheel and pull the truck....Correct? **before I go throwing money at this BEOTCH! Its been /forums/images/icons/cool.gif.

Thanks in advance! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm pickin' up what you're layin' doiwn, brother........The principles you've brought up make perfect sense to me. However, if one side in the rear was braking better, I don't know if it would be very apparent handling-wise. There's no way to turn the rear tires in or out, we know that, but would simple friction be enough to cause the truck to slew left or right? I don't know.............good question. Anyone else?

3. Morphgizmo

Morphgizmo Registered Member

Good question.

Does a non posi rear end cause a pull to one side when one tire gets more traction than the other?

I wouldn't think so.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Good point! BUT, it takes.....Ok, like when your following your wife through the grocery store adn your riding your arms up along the sides leaning over, one foot on the under bar support and pushing with the other 2 stroke leg...... still with me?......
    And then when its time to brake or turn you aplly a foot the the wheel on the side in which you wish to turn and then it creates enough drag (negative force= easier to apply) to turn you. Hell, I've locked one side up before and almost flipped the damn cart. But we had already been to the beer cooler so I had to pull out my skills and all, but we wont go in to that. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gifMFO!!

But this is wierd... When I aplly the brakes in advance with a slow smooth approach, nothing! Everything is good. If I apply a bit more it starts to "vear" of to the right, but I dont feel it much in the steering at all, other than I have to start counter steering to stay on the road. Then on top of that, once I let off, all that negative force built up between my brakes and the steering let loose adn the truck "vears" back over to the left. But but if I go by feel, I'd say it doesn't feel like the fronts. But I have been know to be wrong before! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

It can also be shocks. A bad shock can make you vear to one side or the other when braking.
    If you take the lower bolt off the shock and can compress it easily and pull it back with no resistance that may be the problem.

6. Morphgizmo

Morphgizmo Registered Member

I can totally relate to the following the wife through the grocery store story! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

However, the cart is pulling to one side because the front casters allow it turn, so you could be on to something. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Any chance that we are both right? Maybe you're feeling the rear brakes stick while at the same time you have a sticky front caliper?

More questions, fewer answers I'm afraid! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

LOL, IM gonna sleep on it.

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

YES IT WILL!! i went through this once on a customers truck. It was early in my mechanical career. I had a guy come to the shop and complain the same. I sold him rotors, calipers, pads. the whole thing. when I got done, it still did it. I never thought to ck the rears. well, now totally pissed and fealing like I just screwed the guy, I finally checked the rears. It had a leaking wheel cylinder on the left rear. shoes were damp, not soaked. fixed that, and all was better. The shorter the wheel base, the more sensative the braking. In my own defence, I was working at a goodyear store at the time, so yes I did screw him!!

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, my rears are all new less than 3000 miles, including cylinders. But I had went wheelin and forgot to put the dust shields back in the backing plates, however, I had only dis-assembled one side and cleaned it out and over the time I had totoally forgot about cleaning the other side out. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif So I guess I just answered my own mystery! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

bablazer,

I agree here too. My brakes pulled like an SOB since new. Bad calipers up front. Rebuilt and they 'braked straight, but the front end was loose as hell since it pulled forever. Finaly got most of that out. And, now when braking normally it is pretty good, but when I stand on it from highway speed it'll brake normally then act like one side grabs more than the other. I guess this could be treacherous in the rain ... but so far driving like a Granny has kept 4 wheels on the pavement.

Backlash

11. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

I have a '63 Chevy pickup that does that. The right rear brakes lock up and pulls the whole truck to the right, it sucks. i have tried bleeding the brakes so many times, I have just come to live with it on that truck. It's manual four wheel drums too.