Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone explain some ignition stuff to me...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reddog64, Dec 3, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I am planning an upgrade to my spark system.. an dwant to use a new distributor, and a msd offroad box for spark controll... Does the msd box provide the spark like a coil does? and is there a specific distributor to use with this?
    I wan tto replace everything but dont want to buy a distributor and find it doesnt work witht e msd off-road box the 6AL i believe... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Can soem one shed some light on this... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The box doesnt provide the spark. I think it is basically a big ignition module and only tells the coil when to fire. I know that they have a coil you can use with it, but I'm not sure if the stock coil can be used with it. The best thing would be to send a message to their tech dept. http://www.msdignition.com/support.htm Hope this helps.

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I've got a 6AL hooked up to my HEI distributor and it works fine. They're easy to hook up.

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Hey Jeffro...

Did you notice any difference?

5. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

If you buy an MSD distributer with your MSD box, then it's all plug n' play. Yes you need a coil, but it's only 30 bucks or so for an MSD Blaster. And yes, it makes a beeg difference.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I also have an MSD 6AL hooked up to a Summit HEI. The MSD box replaces the module in the distributor. The MSD is a big improvement over the stock ignition. I noticed easier starts when cold, better idle and more power. The 6AL is nice to have with the rev limiter, in case you frag your drivetrain you are not having to dodge flying motor parts as well. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have the MSD-6 Offroad box.
    It uses an external coil. I got the hi vibration one MSD sells.
    The box replaces all the elctronics (the module) in the HEI.
    It's easy to hook up.
    -- Mike

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have the MSD 6 Offroad box, MSD Blaster SS coil, MSD cap & rotor, and MSD Super Conductor wires. I love them all. The box made a BIG difference in throttle responds, starting, and best of all gas mileage.

The MSD box acts like an amplifier I believe. It is fairly easy to install if you know how anything about your ignition system. MSD should work with a stock HEI distributor. Thats what mine is on. You will want to carry a spare coil with you if you keep the stock coil, if you use an MSD then carry your stock with you. Also go to Autozone and pick up a spare ignition pickup coil too. I just got one for $12.50. MSD can burn out both, and with either one you are SOL. I already had the pickup coil go once, and an MSD coil start to go. (truck still ran, but it had an intermitent miss, and would die if it got to hot (MSD warrantied it)

Harley

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

MSD, Multiple Spark Discharge. The "box" is basiclly just ,as has been said a spark module, it sends out a multi. spark charge at lower RPM, insted of one huge one. You can use it with almost any dist. The easiest way ofcourse being to use all the parts from the same company. Weather its MSD, Mallory, or even DUI, they are all a step above the oem stuff. IMO check out DUI, Davis Unified Ignitions. Hope I helped. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I put an MSD 6 on a pavement only Pherd and noticed all of the aobve comments except mileage, no real gain there. About a year later I had a problem during a trip and swapped back the the Dura-Spark II system. Didn't cure the problem (turned out to be plugged SuperTrapps'). Never put the MSD back on & I can't say I noticed any change in going back to the D-S II.

Above some RPM like about 3000 the MSD's multi-sparks merge into one long spark. They'll trigger off of your existing reluctor & pick-up coil or your can use the stock module and trigger the MSD like you'd put it on a points vehicle. See if you can download their install manual as it will show all of your options.

For the same money as the std. 6A the Crane HI-6 offers a built-in rev limiter which the MSD does not. Have not seen any difference on the Dyno. One engine cart has an MSD, one of the others has an HI-6.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

In a dyno test in the 4 wheel mag, the MSD made the truck LOSE power...the only box to gain power was the Crane Fireball...it gained 5 horsepower...I don't see why I'd spend money on something that doesn't help me too much...save the money to buy some ORD swaybar disco's and heavy duty greasable shackles.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Get a DUI. MSD is good. But I like them better than MSD. Plus you dont have all the extra wireing and box to deal with.Keeps everything much simpler less chance of problems if you get wet.
    Just drop in the new Dist and you are set to go.
    Check it out:performancedistributors.com