Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone explain the TV cable to me?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 15, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am thinking about swapping one of the 700R4s I have sitting into my next project instead of the SM465. Will lose a lot of gear but would gain the not dealing with a clutch. With a full manual valve body is a TV cable neccessary? I know my dad never runs kick downs on his TH400s in his race cars.

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Keep that sm465 in good shape, and don't hack anything (clutch assembly/bracekts for pedal) when you remove it, and you should be able to get some good $$$ out of selling it.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TH 400s do not have kickdown cables or any type of cable for that matter, the kickdown is electric on a TH 400.

TV cables are often thought to be the same thing as a kickdown cable, but the function of a TV cable is far different.

And if you run a full manual, no, you won't need it, it will apply full line pressure all the time and obviously you'll have to shift yourself.

With as much gear as you'll have I think I'd want the 465 though.

don't you already have your driver drop 241? If so, you realize you'll need a different one or an input swap to go to a 700R4, right?

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

<a href="www.tvmadeez.com" target="_blank">clicky</a> check out article 101 Link doesn't seem to work but it's www.tvmadeez.com /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the TV stands for throttle valve cable. its preaty much a throttle position sencor for the tranny. as more throttle is applied, the cable pushes a plunger and raises the line pressure.

the line pressure affects the shift points and the when it down shifts.

thats the short version

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can get either 241, I have a 32 spline version right now but could just as easily get a 27 spline driver side drop. I was thinking going Atlas if i go auto anyway.