Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone explain to me how a keg works?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by protechk5, Jan 11, 2006.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

How does the beer come out the top in on keg when there is hardly any beer left? There must be a tube or something that goes to the bottom. Also does anyone know if they even clean them? We have turned in some kegs that have been sitting around forever, when I pressed the ball down to see if there was any pressure left, the worst smell came out, and thats what got me thinking of how they clean the kegs?? Anyone?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

No clue but I have one almost new in the shop waiting to be cut into a bbq grill.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i dunno, but ive got one at my house, its actually in my closet right now...

4. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

i'd be happy to research it for you, just send a couple of full ones my way and i will let you know in a couple of days

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

kegs are pressurised (hence the pumping) Keeps the beer flowin

6. muddysub

what kind of PSI is inside a keg for it to put out beer.... i wanna hook mine up to my compressor. i got a feeling im gonna have to turn the reg WAY down

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If it straightens out the wrinkles in the side of the can, it's probably too much pressure.:haha: :haha: :haha:

8. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

no idea on psi, but i assume its not to low.

anyone who's pumped a neer empty keg knows it takes alot. AND Bars use tanks of compressed co2 to keep taps flowing.

generally if you get foamy beer, you got to much pressure.

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

idk, we had the wild idea of shoot a empty keg with a highpower if we ever do it ill get pics, as far as cleaning them out, someone told me onetime that the ball comes out somehow, anytruth to it im not sure.

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I found an empty 1 gallon keg in my front yard last month... It's got a few dents, and it's for Grolsch premium lager.......... Now it's in my room with a Poinsettia on top of it :D

11. muddysub

first of all, you FOUND a keg in your front yard? huh? and using it as a decoration is awesome!

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I found:whistle: a keg bbq grill.

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Kegs have a valve on top connected to tube called a spear that goes down from the valve on the top to the bottom of the keg. Pressurising the top of the keg forces the beer up the spear and into your glass. C02 is the best way to pressurize a keg. It also carbonates the beer giving it more fizz. Using regular old air to pressurize a keg will just make the beer go flat.
    Beer does not come pressurized in a keg. There is a little natural pressure but you need about 10 psi of CO2 to make it flow the best.

Kegs are cleaned at the brewerey. The valve on the top is removed. It is held in place with a snap ring. Need a high tech special tool to remove it.
    Then
    They are high pressure washed inside, sterlized then inspected with fiber optics. Kegs gotta be super clean when filled, or the beer will go bad.
    But
    You really shouldn't worry about all the high tech mumbo jumbo of beer kegs.
    All you need to know is how to pour the perfict glass of beer. Preferably large and cold:D

14. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My roommate made a kegerator and if you want to keep the keg for any length of time, you have to use co2 and not compressed air, or else the brew will go bad. No reason you cant use air though, as long as you drink all the beer then and there.

Logically, the keg has an air valve at the top, and a hose extending to the bottom. The pressurized air pushes the beer down to the bottom of the keg and up the hose to the tap. Any aerosol can works the same way.

15. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

You put a tap on it, pump the tap, dispense beer into chosen container wiht the little hose.

Then you drink it

Repeat until you forget what to do and need to reference this thread :bow:

16. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

depending on the beer, regulator and other factors, the required psi varies. I never had enough time to fine tune my keg before I left my kegerator at my brother's place. 10psi was a bit high for me, but I needed to replace the spigot as it leaked a bit. Another reason to use C02 as opposed to air is that CO2 is generally "clean" and air will have any bacteria or microbes that will grow in the beer to make it skunky faster. But we never had any problems finishing kegs. We were a drinking team with a rugby problem. ON! ON!