Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can someone explain to me these shackle slider things?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by four_by_ken, Dec 16, 2004.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    I can see how it works ..... but it makes my butt pucker just thinking about driving down the road with a setup like that.:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

3. four_by_ken

Well, if you can see how it works... speak up! thats the whole point of this thread.:doah:

I am guessing the spring eye is just allowed to slide back and forth in that hanging bracket thing?

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Looks to me like it does a similar thing as shackles. But instead of having a moving shackle that has some side to side movement, the spring eye slides in the bracket/box.

Only thing that I can think of that might be a little weird.. A shackle moves in an elliptical pattern. Whereas this set-up would only move in a hortizontal pattern... Would there be a pro or con vs one or the other?

5. four_by_ken

That was my thoughts exactly.

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

since the spring "floats" on that white piece of ... whatever it is ... and is allowed to rotate it shouldnt have any negative effect on it. I can see this type (if engineered a little better) of shackle giving/allowing for a lot more axle movement than a stock or even a lifted shackle, but with the way its hanging off the frame like that he is more likely to rip it off on a rock then not. He has to be running a limiting strap on that unless the shackle has a built-in stop... otherwise every time he drops a tire it will slide out of those side grooves and let loose.

Also, if it werent hanging down off the frame like that, I dont see why it would be worrisome to drive it on the street, should be just as sound if not more stable than a stock shackle...

All in all, the benefits of this setup dont appear to outweigh the nastiness of its installation ... he would probably be better off with a long shackle in my .02...

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Maybe its just the way I'm seeing the motion, but wouldn't this setup allow for quite a bit of axle steer. Like previously mentioned a shackle moves eliptically where this just moved front to back. Just seems like you'd get some weird axle movement out of it. Like to see this type of setup in action.

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

on that white piece of ... whatever it is
    almost positive that would be teflon, slides real easy and it is pretty strong, same stuff they use on dirt bike chain sliders,
    could be wrong tho.......

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If properly built I don't really see any issues with the slider setup. It's simply providing the same function as a shackle, just in a different design. The main issues to overcome is friction.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I can explain those things in one word.........

SUICIDE

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Its not teflon, its Delrin.

This is no where near a new idea. Randy Elis used to run a similar setup on his old, old buggy. Only his was MUCH better in the engineering and design portion. There have been a few ideas like this, to try and replace the shackle, and on a pure trail rig they have worked decent, but they required to much maitinence, and couldnt match the simplicity of the shackle.

All this does, is that as the spring compresses or droops, this slides to take up the change in spring length. It works, and it does eliminate side to side movement, but also can limit flex by not allowing the spring to twist.

That guys setup is just plain scary, though. Get that thing in a hard sidhill and i can see it just coming appart. Whats scarier is that it sounds like he drives it on the road too. Good thought, HORID execution.

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

they use sliders on circle track cars instead of a shackle. the slider is made from teflon. most slider assemblies are capped on the front and back as a stop, the bottom has to be open for the spring to fit threw.

seems to me that they aren't that great when there is alot of weight, the teflon breaks , then the spring just flops around. it would be better to have them in the rear where there is not as much weight.

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

They allow the spring to have a constant spring rate. In a normal set up as the shackle moves in its arc the spring rate is constantly changing. The sliders allow for a more predictable ride (reason for use in track racers). This design is a piss poor example. They are more hit and miss for offroading, and often are not worth the amount of work inolved.

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I see a bar that connects the two sides together, probably not as weak as it looks. If it works for him I don't see a problem. It obviously isn't a daily driver, and likely if it breaks it will be on the trail. Things break no matter what it is or how its built, and things don't have to be uber fancy to be strong.

15. four_by_ken

By the looks of the whole truck, I think it may be backyard built. But I just have a feeling that it all holds together pretty well.

I kind of like it.
    Wonder what the wheelbase is.