Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone help me out? (got help... thanks everyone!!!)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by TruckNutzDude, Jun 10, 2003.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I need some help installing my lift kit. I've been working by myself for 2 days w/ hand tools on a rock driveway and I haven't made much progress. I got one front spring halfway installed but that's it, I still have to get the other side done, install the rear blocks, drop the t-case, replace the steering arm and relocate the brake lines... then I need someone to help me bleed the brakes. I've been out of work for 3 months so I can't give you cash, but I have a tire groover/siper and would be happy to modify some tires for you in return. I'm located in Agawam, Mass. (where Six Flags is). If you or someone you know could help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for at least reading this /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Can someone help me out?

would like to help but I think the ride would kill the deal on my end. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You need to move down south w/ the rest of us. We are always wrenching on something. You help me, I help you-works much better than cash.

4. TruckNutzDude

I agree on the moving idea /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nobody in this area knows what fun is /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Stupid RICERS!!!

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I wish I was up there to help, It took me 4 days over 4 weeks to do my 4 spring lift /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Go get you a die grinder and some 4" 1/32" cut off wheels if I'd had done that at the start it would have saved me some time. I just cut all my nuts and bolts off /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif it took about 20 min a cut letting the compressor catch up. I did the rear U-bolts at the bottom about 3/4 way through and then broke them off with the impact. I didn't have to do the steering arm so I don't know about that. The trans drop takes about 5 min just do 1 side at a time and use your jack to hold it up and liwer it down.

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

just be patient and think make sure the jackstands are secure. I did mine and had all kinds of problems, but hammered throught them with help from here. What exactly are you having problems with? The biggest problem i found was with old bolts. I soaked them with a lubricant for about a week before, then they pretty much came out. The hard ones where the stupid shackle bolts.

Post your questions and your bound to get lots of help

7. TruckNutzDude

Well... here it is, day 3. So far I've gotten the drivers side spring bolted on and I'm halfway to getting the passanger side on. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I picked up an angle grinder and a cut off wheel today which helped with the rust-welded bolts! I need to get another cutting wheel tomorrow though, this one shrunk down to the size of a quarter in about a half hour. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif The thing that's giving me the most trouble is the steering arm. I've been soaking the studs in liquid wrench for almost 4 days and even with the 10 lb sledge it won't budge. I have a bad lower ball joint on that side, is this a good time to pull the knuckle off and try to take the arm off with the knuckle in a vise? I'm gonna try torching it tomorrow, if it still doesn't budge I'm looking into a dropped drag link and selling the new arm!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. TruckNutzDude

Picked up some PB-Blaster today! I soaked the studs holding the steering arm on and now I'm just waiting for the rain to stop. I found a new problem though... My front driveshaft is hitting the exhaust and I haven't even dropped the t-case yet! I'm thinking this is going to require some of that bend-it yourself exhaust pipe from pep-boys. That should work, right? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Normally I would jump right on that and help, but the next two weeks are killer for me. I am working in Springfield, so Feeding hills is not that far away. Between work, side work, the truck pulls, and the demolition derby on the 21st, my ass is going to be in 18 different directions. If you are still having troubles after that, let me know and I will gladly help, or if you need tools or advice before then.

Slight Chance, but not committing......
    If things start going well and mother nature cooperates (my side business is lawn care and this freaking rain is killing me), I might be able to swing down Sunday night or early next week (Monday). Let me know if you are still in need of help then and if I have time, I will gladly help. I will PM you my cell number.

Chris.

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

If it was still driveable, I would say come to NJ and we could get everything done in one day at my place...(power tools!). I need to get my tires grooved so it would work out. Well if you ever feel like grooving my tires for some change or parts give me a shout. As far as the exhaust goes, get a piece of exhaust pipe that will slide over the outside of the current pipe and just make a sleeve, worked like a charm for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. TruckNutzDude

Wow, PB-Blaster is awesome stuff. A few days of soaking it in that and a couple swift hits with the sledge and it came right off! As soon as Home Depot gets more 4" cutting blades I'll have all the springs off, along with the sway bar and should be ready to finish things up. I appreciate everyone's help. All the information I got was great! If anyone owns a Blazer or any type of Chevy truck, they NEED to become a member of this site, I'm so glad I did /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Glad to hear its progressing.

13. TruckNutzDude

Front end is complete. Blocks, t-case drop and brake lines tomorrow. This lift is a lot bigger than 4"... more like 5". I might take some leaves out of the front springs to bring it down a little and soften up the ride. Thanks again for the help everyone /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. TruckNutzDude

Oops, forgot to ask this. Does anyone know about regestering a vehicle for show only in Mass.? I heard it's a lot cheaper for insurance and there's no emissions inspecions. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Never done it, but I bet a call to your current insurance company and/or local DMV office will get you all the information you need.