Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone help me out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This problem is driving me absolutely insane:

I am trying to install my 355 onto my rolling chassis. Its a 79 3/4 ton 4x4 chassis. My problem is that the engine mounts won't line up! The engine is coming from a 2wd 3/4 ton truck. I originally thought it was the mounts, so I replaced them. But I've still got the same problem. The truck had a 350 in it, and the towers are in the same place. This leaves only the bracket on the engine, but thats the same between a 2wd and 4x4 right?

I just cannot figure this out for the life of me!

Russ

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

IIRC there was a member who recently ran into this problem and found out the 2wd mounts were different and had to use the 4wd mounts on the chassis

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have 4x4 cups and 4x4 towers. The only thing that isn't 4x4 are the brackets that are bolted to the engine...

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

IIRC it had to be 4wd all the way? I'll look for the thread.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i seem to remember you had to shift it to another set of holes on the crossmember?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its the engine brackets most likely...

The brackets that bolt to the block have the thru bolt holes 1 inch farther away from the block on 4x4's versus the ones used on most 2wd and car engines!--this can cause all kinds of dilemas if the wrong ones are used--sometimes the motor drops right in,but tilts down in the front,enough to allow the harmonic balancer to rub on the crossmember,or the fuel pump to rest against it.You need the correct brackets to bolt to the block..
    .I also read on here that some 73-74 trucks had different height motor mounts than other years did,and are not available any more--I never ran into that problem on my 74 K20,but who knows what GM might have done.(that post said you could "shim" them with a flat plate to make them line up)..your motor mount pads should be in the right location if you pulled a 350 out of it,any small(or big) block uses the same bolt holes in the frame,only the straight 6 motors use the "other" holes...I think once you get the right brackets on the block it will fall right into place nicely...:crazy: