Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone measure the distance between front frame horns (73-80)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Jun 28, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I need to know the distance between the front frame horns.
    The reason I can't measure mine is because the driver's side frame horn is twisted (GRRRR.)
    I want to make a brace for it, like another crossmember.
    I think it's the same 73-91, except the shape of the framehorn is different for 73-80. So, I could cut off the first inch or two of my framehorns and it would be the same.
    -- Mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I got 28" inside on my 81. I built a tow bar that bolts in between the frame horns...27.875" wide and it fit on the 82 I bought in Texas as well as the 74 I got in San Diego. The 74 I did need to grind the front of the frame horns to get the tow bar in there though. As far as I could tell that was the only diference in that area. Width wise they were the same.

Rene

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I want to say 28-1/4...but i'll check tommorrow if someone else doesn't post first. I straightened mine out 2 days ago and used the stock '78 out back to measure from. I'm planning on welding the front bumper on like a new crossmember, but other than that, i'm leaving it unbraced. I'd a whole lot rather bend the front frame horns than something furthur back. The impact shock has to be absorbed somewhere.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Rene, that's kind of the idea I had. Fabricate a two bar or hitch mount for between the frame rails. It would act as a crossmember plus give utility.
    Got a pic? Or general plans?
    Brian, are measuring from the inside of the frame on one side to the inside of the frame on the other side?
    Thanks for the help!
    -- Mike

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You could send Talldogg a pm for a pic, or maybe Wes (ThatK30guy) I know Wes took a few pic's, but I don't know how well they turned out. I sold the tow bar to Talldogg recently.

I built it from 2x2x .250" wall square tubing. From the mount point at the frame it is straight for about a foot, then both sides angle in. There is a cross brace piece as well.

The mount area I welded two pieces of 1.5" round stock 1/2" thick on either side of the tube and drilled my holes for 9/16" bolts. I used two 9/16" grade 8 bolts for mounting it through the oval transport holes in the front area of the frame.

Worked good for me...twice. 2500 miles the first time and 1500 miles the second time. Sam (Talldogg) was also impressed with it...

Rene

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I was measuring from OD to OD...so rene's measurements sound right on!

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I took two pictures of the tow bar and one came out fantastic since it was dark outside when you stopped by, both times. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I still have not conquered the damn scanner I got for X-mas. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

If you can run me thru the operation of the scanner, which is the exact same one you have, I would gladly get the pic posted up here as an [image] for everyone to see. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif