Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone measure their rear shackle hanger for me?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Apr 9, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I cut the bottom of my rear shackle hangers for the cheapie shackle flip a while back so the bottom is missing out of mine. Can someone measure how much farther the 'bowl' hangs from the edges of the hanger. I'm looking to run a plate across the bottom of a stock hanger and can't remember if it hangs lower than the edges, namely looking outside to inside from the side. thanks!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The botom of the 'bowl' is not the lowest point on my stock, unmolested hangers. There is a rear lip and a front lip that are about 1/4" lower than the bottom of the 'bowl'. If I measured the wrong thing lemme know and I'll try again...I may have misunderstood exactly what you're trying to find out.

Rene

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Actually, you read it perfect! Thanks, I've finally finished my final prototype on the 100% bolt on shackle flip brackets. Made a new stronger one piece side design to eliminate any weld breaking and letting the hanger fall off. Just needed to know where to weld in the horizontal inside to outside / front to rear plate which will sit flush to the bottom of the hanger and brace the sides apart. Thanks Rene!

4. tRustyK5

No problem dude...take some pic's, I haven't done a shackle flip yet.

Rene

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I definately will, I'm making a run of 10 of them for people who were interested, but refused to sell one untill I was comfortable with the quality and strength of the design! My first prototype is still on my truck and works great but I have to admit I was worried about the integrety when I was abusing them off road due to the 4 piece design and only a couple welds holding one side together... the new three peice would hold together just fine even if all the welds broke completely through. Which means I can abuse my truck even more than before... right?

6. tRustyK5

Abuse without breakage is the goal.../forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I'd like to get rid of my rear blocks, but frankly I've been too lazy to cut my hangers and do the flip. I'm very interested to see how your brackets turn out...I may get in line for a set myself!

Rene

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Sneak peak.. 3D modeling

<a target="_blank" href=http://192.168.0.1/shackle/shackle.jpg> old design </a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://192.168.0.1/shackle/prototype.jpg> new design </a>

this prototype has mounting holes for various angles and lifts so I can experiment with longer shackles and springs.. should be fun.