Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone please answer me a clutch question....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am getting pissed, but I think it is probably my own stupidity or something here. I just took the motor and everything out of my truck to fix a damaged bellhousing. I just got the motor dropped back in it, put the clutch linkage (mechanical) back together, push the clutch in... and the whole thing went to sh*t. Can someone tell me what clutch fork is suppsed to do when installed correctly? Mine moves up and down on the end??? I can grab where the linkage rod pushes on it and move it up and down probably 2". So, when you hook the clutch linkage up and push it in, the clutch fork just goes DOWN instead of back and it all falls apart. Did I install the throwout bearing wrong? Did the fork fall off the throwout bearing during installation? Is the fork broken somewhere or somehow? I just wanna see if there are any other options before I pull the damn motor out again.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The big end of the fork rides on the notch on the throwout bearing, and about the midpoint of the fork there is a pivot ball. It's either not on the throw out bearing properly or it's not on the pivot ball correctly.

Rene

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If i'm not mistaken you can remove the clutch fork without pulling anything else apart. Just climb under the rig and check to make sure the clutch fork is on the clutch pivot ball as stated above, if it isn't then pull it out and reinstall it onto the ball making sure it is also properly engaged on the t/o bearing.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well it depends on what tranny if you can reposition the fork without pulling tranny or engine or not

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

It is on the pivot ball... I am thinking maybe it is not on the TO bearing. Maybe I installed the TO bearing backwards??? Does the big or small side of the bearing go to the front?

6. 4X4HIGH

The clutch fork is behind the bearing so it will push the bearing into the pressure plate.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The clutch fork is behind the bearing so it will push the bearing into the pressure plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

The clutch fork kinda fits into the bearing. The big side goes forward, that's what pushes against the fingers on the pressure plate.

8. 4X4HIGH

[ QUOTE ]
    The clutch fork kinda fits into the bearing

[/ QUOTE ]

The bearing presses onto a sleeve and the fork fits onto the sleeve NOT the bearing.