Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone please help me decipher my VIN?!!

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by big94gmc, Jan 3, 2006.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to get the stock gear ratio from the VIN? Yes, I know....look for the code in the glove box. I would, but unfortunately it's that one exact spot that's been rubbed away over the last 12 years by the owners manual rubbing against it. So, can it be done from the VIN?

I'm wanting to know what exact ratio this truck had when it left the assembly plant. THINKING that I had 3.73, I put 4.10 in when I lifted it a couple years ago. I've since learned that 3.73 was definitely not what it initially had, so I want to know what I DID have (most likely 3.08 or 3.42....something along those lines). I've not been happy with the highway MPG and performance, although the truck does have some great low-end, off the line torque - but that's not really important since this is my DD, street truck. 4.10 is too much. So, I need to do what I should have done a couple years ago, and make the right decision about what r&p I should have back there.

Oh, and, in case anyone is wondering, this badass truck is a '94 GMC Sierra x-cab short bed, TBI350, 5 spd Getrag, 2wd (8.5 10b). VIN is 2GTEC19K7R1578993.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dont think so. but i have seen lots of 3.42 in 2x4s and some 4x4s.

3. gauder

gauder Banned

I have 3 4X4 OBS in my driveway (RCSB, 2door Tahoe, 4door Tahoe) and they're all 3.42's