Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone please splain to me...(Grimmy?)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justhorsinaround, Feb 26, 2004.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

in painfully clear and basic(like you're explainin it to a 10 year old)terms how this full time four wheel drive system physically works? And then as a corollary what does the part time kit accomplish? What's got the wheels in my head turnin, is that there is 2 high and 4 high and 2 low and 4 low. Now then, to my way of thinkin there is no power goin to the front wheels when in 2 hi or low i.e. I can spin the rear wheels while climbin a hill but the front wheels don't grab after the t-case pops out of 2 low. Whole different problem. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Apparently I'm wrong but why? I've never seen this explained before and have finally decided to ask. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves. Thanks so much in advance and good luck to y'all.

Allan

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Can someone please splain to me...

Ask Grimmy. He can explain it best. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. justhorsinaround

Re: Can someone please splain to me...

Ko. HEY GRIMMY CAN YOU SPLAIN THIS TO ME??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Gotta yell he's a long way away from here. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Good luck to y'all.

Allan

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well first off in a stock NP203 case there is NOT a 2 high or a 2 low. There is full time and lock. in full time it can spin the wheel of the least traction on any corner of the truck.

I guess the easiest way to explain it is in a open axle you have a differential. It alows the wheels to trave at different speeds so you can turn the vehicle easily.

In the NP203 is a open Diferential just like a axle has. It allows the drive shafts to spin at different speed to alow the vehicle to turn in the same way as a axle alows the axle shafts to turn at different speeds.

In this picture you looking at the rear output shaft. the teeth you see are what engages the gears on the diff inside the metal ring.
    [​IMG]

In this image you can see the stock 203 diff on the right. The plined section in the center is what the output shaft from the range box drives. The left is the 501 mile marker part time kit. It has tabs that replace the diff gears and lock the output from the range box to the tails shaft that drives the rear drive shaft.
    [​IMG]
    The shaft replacement kit replace the whole assembly.
    Stock is on the botom and replacment kit is lines up at top.
    [​IMG]

Now stock there is a cog that can lock up the 203's Diff so that both axles get a 50/50 power split. That same cog becomes the front output drive. Now with a part time kit that means you do have 2 low it what perviously was LOC.

[​IMG]

Ok I hope that makes sense. It's all in here.
    http://www.coloradok5.com/milemarkerpt.shtml

5. justhorsinaround

Thank you so much. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif I didn't know that article existed. Now I know what's goin on in there and what not I feel more complete. Good luck to y'all.

Allan