Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can someone tell me where the VIN on the frame is for my k20?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

someone told me that the VIN for my truck was somewhere on the frame under the drivers seat. i looked all over and could not locate it. perhaps the frame VIN is located somewhere different for a k20 and a k5. can anyone help? thanks.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

on my dads K20, it was located on the pass side about a foot in front of the rear axle, on the top of the frame rail.

3. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i went over just about every place possible on that frame rail. i used a flashlight and a telescopic inspection mirror. i still cannot find the VIN stamped on the framerail. its an 81, and it has dual gas tanks. with my luck, the VIN is probably hidden near one of the 2 tanks.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

you might have to do some scrapping or sanding of the frame...i know when we did the body swap on his from a 77 to a 81, the state police had to sand the frame rail just to read it.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Should be visible on the passenger side, under the footwell, forward of the gas tank if the truck is equipped with one. Its not on the top or bottom but right on the side and will only have the last few digits of the VIN. The first 8 (or so) numbers and letters are not stamped on the frames as these are not the vital part of the identifications stamped on the frames. The last few digits on the rail should match your VIN tag or title.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

VIN on my '81 frame is on the top rail underneath the drivers seat area somewhere. (never saw it myself)

State Patrol spent hours getting at it on my truck.