Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can someone write a NO B.S. faq about 52" springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cochino12, Jan 13, 2005.

1. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

Please?

I have been searching for two days looking for info on a 52" spring swap. It also looks like I am not the only one looking into this. Seems like a lot of people have opinions but not a lot of people have done the swap. I want an affordable 4-5' lift for the rear and cant use a shackle flip, and I cant seem to find actual info for the rear.

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

well, the 52 swap is for the front... you should already have 52's in the rear...

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You have 3 choices to get 4-5" lift in the rear. Shackle Flip, lift spring, or block. I recommend against blocks and you said shackle flip is out. I just installed rear lift springs in my truck Wednesday (replaced add a leaf & block combo) and it rides alot better.

For a 4" lift I recommend a 6" spring minus 1 leaf. For a 5" lift I recommend a 6" lift spring with the overload removed or deal with the extra 1" of lift.

Harley

4. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

ha ha well maybe thats why I cant find the info I need!! :D

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I have been looking for something on this as well, but no luck so far. Jekbrown is about to do the swap and I believe he mentioned something about doing a write-up on it while he was doing it...

Might want to send him a PM or whatnot to see if thats still the plan or what.

I know I plan on doing the swap to my truggy so if he hasnt done the write-up by then, I guess it will be my opportunity.

-Ryan

6. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

my swap is gonna happen this sunday, along with the 63" rear swap! planning on shooting lots of pics:D i want to do a write up just need help as i write like a 3rd grader :ears:

7. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

so what did you decide to use, 52's or 56's??

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Did you guys look at my website? It pretty much outlines everything you need to do to make the 52's work.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out. reverse the front mounts, the actual body mount portion of it is identical for either side. move the shackle bracket forward on the frame, 7.25" shackles are a good starting point. whats so hard about that? :confused:

10. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to use stock bumper/brackets when moving the FT mount to the other side of the core support mount? Do you use a zero rate to put the axle back to OEM location or leave it 2" forward?

The other thought I had was to leave both mounts in the stock location and use a zero rate to move the axle forward 1.5" and still use extended length shackles. Why move both mounts forward and the move the axle back, is there something I'm missing? Just move the axle forward if using a zero rate anyways.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

this is true. I am in the process right now and am taking tons of pics for an eventual and thorough write up. Ive heard so many conflicting comments about this swap I almost feel duty bound to do it myself and report everything I can about it.

j

12. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

gotta go 56's :D i am going with a 1410 shaft anways, might as well make the most of it!:hack:

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

52" spring swap article idea

I think that the process to swap in 52" springs would make a wonderful tech article for everyone. Then we could direct most questions to the tech article.