Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can somone explain this setup to me? is it normal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by luk3, Oct 26, 2003.

1. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's whats called a "traction block". Basically a lift block with a torque arm on it.

3. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

is it junk?

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

can ya give us better pics, im curious and interested in the setup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

PureInsanity runs a 2" rear "traction lift". He likes it. I wouldn't run it cause I want max articulation. Just got in from the garage where I removed 1 leaf and flipped my overloads on each spring pack.

6. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

i have no more pics, its on the rear of a 71, les shwab might have lifted as far as i know, thats all i know about it.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

8. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Seems kinda funky to me. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Yep thats mine Sled posted. Theres a few more pics in that album from different angles. They look funky but they DO work.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

11. Pure Insanity

Its bolted to the pack like a Zero rate. Basicly a spacer on the srping. Its not moving unless I break a pin. If it were coming out it would have by now. I have FLOGGED my truck hard and they are still there.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

so even that lift block is bolted into the pack? wow, that seems like a really loooong center pin. guess if you've beat on it, it works... doesnt seem like the kinda thing I'd do. to each their own,

j

13. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yes they work, i've seen them on alot of trucks in pattersons 4x4 mag, lots of pre-88 chevy trucks lifted with the traciton lift, and they keep it from wheel hopping mad style. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Pure Insanity

Standard 4 inch pin and I cut some off the top when I got them all together.

15. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    yes they work, i've seen them on alot of trucks in pattersons 4x4 mag, lots of pre-88 chevy trucks lifted with the traciton lift, and they keep it from wheel hopping mad style. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Finally I have some back up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If anyone remembers the Red 1 ton that was detailed to the 9s a month or so back, look at the pic of the rea suspension. He has them on there. BUT he has the store bought kind, (that noone makes anymore, I think it was Rancho that made them) that ARE a long lift block thats just stuck in there. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

That was in FourWheeler you mean? October 03 Fourwheeler has a red Chevy on the cover that has a traction lift as well. Many of the TTC hopefuls this year listed Traction Lifts in their suspension profiles.

17. Pure Insanity

OOPS was it Four Wheeler? Oh well yall knew what I meant. LOL! [ QUOTE ]
    Many of the TTC hopefuls this year listed Traction Lifts in their suspension profiles.

[/ QUOTE ] Really? I didnt see the issues w/ the TTC selections. Ive had mine in for over a yr, maybe I stated sumthin by bringing them back? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I remember noting a few in the TTC selection thing. My buddy and I were trying to figure out what Traction lifts were /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

19. Pure Insanity

Well now ya know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif LMAO!

20. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

It's a lift block trying to not have the side-effects of a lift block. IE: the wicked axle wrap and therefore bitchin' wheelhop.

Wheelhop and axle wrap is why GM puts the shocks where they do. I've noticed that back in the 80s it was common for Dodges to get shocks to limit wheelhop as well (shock between the back of the springs and the front of the frame like in the picture).

Another common way to limit wheelhop is the traction bars they sell in JC Whitney as "offroad traction bars". They help quite a bit without limiting flex too much.

No matter what anyone says, lift blocks amplify axle wrap bigtime. A lift block is a lift block is a lift block. It's nothing to see a 4" liftblock increase pinion distance to 3" in a wheelhop condition with a stock motor. The shocks or the blocks with the arms further up the leaf limit the pinion being all over the place and the wheelhop but not much. At best, it goes back to stock.

"Slapper bars" work by hitting the frame so that the pinion doesn't go all over the place when you let off the stupid pedal.

I have brand new shocks with stock springs and a shackle flip. I have wheelhop so bad I can't believe I don't break universals or axleshafts. I'm not kidding. The truck will bounce so violently it starts dogtracking. I mean it, it'll bounce so bad that it'll clean the junk right off the seat.