Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can somone explain tubing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 4, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Whats difference in wall size, and what are diff types of tube? what is diff between DOM and HREW?

would .138 wall 1.75" HREW be sufficient for a roll cage?

thanks

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

who brought the popcorn? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats difference in wall size, and what are diff types of tube? what is diff between DOM and HREW?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to say it but a search should bring up plenty of info...and I really don't feel like typing out the whole thing.

[ QUOTE ]
    would .138 wall 1.75" HREW be sufficient for a roll cage?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.....120" wall would be fine too. The thicker wall would be better but heavier.

Rene

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hate to say it but a search should bring up plenty of info...and I really don't feel like typing out the whole thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... i hate to hear it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I guess I'll get off my lazy ass and do a search. ::sigh::

Okay for those of you who are curious this is what I turned up... quoted verbatim from Bad Dog

"DOM *IS* HREW. It's just HREW with extra work done, like drawing over a mandrel. This drawing eliminates the inner weld ridge, provides tighter tolerances, AND work hardens the tube a bit. The work hardening is the only difference in strength.

What most people miss is that DOM is usually a different alloy. DOM is usually found in 102x (mine was 1028 for my steering rods) and HREW is usually found in grades around 1010. The exact grades stocked depend on the industries in your area and their needs. This also makes a difference in strength between HREW/DOM.

As for size, 1.75 x 0.120 in 1010 HREW is generally considered the best compromise of size/strength/weight ratio for a full size K5 trail/rock rig. That is what mine is built from. If you plan on beating the shnit out of it, rolling rather frequently, and smacking things a lot, then you probably want a 102x DOM cage of the same size since it is stronger as well as bit more abrasion resistant. However, IMO, for the vast majority of the trucks, DOM would be absolute over kill. "