Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can the Highway Patrol Pull you over in Texas if you look too...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82Jimmy, Jun 20, 2000.

1. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

high off the ground? I'm not really legal driver (underage) and I am going to put on a lift... can they pull me over if I look like I may be over 54"?

Project Snorkel, Lift, And Huge Tires are underway!

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

2. rem7600

rem7600 1/2 ton status

If you're not legal then, it's illegal...

Keep in mind that if an officer decides they
    want to pull you over... They're gonna pull
    you over. It may be the fact that you didn't
    leave your blinker ON around the turn or that
    they thought you were staring at them. Being
    very close to the limits (say 54" or 57") just
    gives them one more reason.

I have never had problems with the law. Any
    tickets I've gotten, I've deserved. I HATE
    saying that! I've gotten off more times than
    I've gotten a ticket... Pay respect and
    "generally" I've found "they" do the same...

[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>REM7600 - '89 Jimmy</font color=purple>

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

very very very well said

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

They probably(I said probably) won't pull you over just b/c your truck is too high. They'll pull you over for something else, say dull paint job, and then they'll whip out a tape measure and say "This rig is 1/16" too high off the ground", and charge you with attempted manslaughter or something like that. And hey, I'm with you, I drive illegally too!

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

5. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

BlazerGuy? How high do you drive over? ANd do you know how much the ticket would be?

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I live in Texas and I doubt they'll pull you over for that. If you look too young then they might pull you over for going 1mph over the speed limit and ask to see your license and them youre screwed but I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for too much lift. I its not like this on the highway but in town they will usually give you 12-13mph before you get a ticket. Just be really nice to them-maybe tell them you left your license at the bar.lol Ive been pulled over like 6 times and gotten one ticket it was kind of unavoidable though 79 in a 55.

7. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well the thing is I usually get to do what ever I want in this town...but got a minor in consumpiton so my permit is suspended for 180 days...dang... hopefully I can rig my lights under like that one post had on it. Small town so all the cops look at me funny and follow me for 12 blocks....really

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If you got an MIP and your licence or permit is suspended, when you get caught driving during this period, you'll prob be going to jail. With a huge fine and someone has to make that bail. Why don't you just sit it out the half year? I've been there and have had friends in your situation. It's usually best to walk the line until your probation is over. Btw, I'm from Texas too (Lubbock) and I know, the Highway Patrol and TABC will nab you for it, murphey's law. And yes, they can pull you over for anything, they can just say you looked suspicious or too young. Good luck with whatever your decision, I'm sure you already know the answer.
    Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Dude your young and have plenty of time,trust me!
    So park your rig and tear it apart, ride a bike and work on your rig everyday until your leagal again!! Your rig will appretiate all your hard work and so will you! Plus it's a great way to get to know your rig inside and out, that way in the future if you ever have any road side troubles you'll know what you need to do to get it fixed and be on your way!!
    Later

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

10. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Laketex...there was a huge list of stuff... mip mic then a bunch about trying to purchase. Doesn't make sense though because everyone else got a mip and i got a mic. I was the only one that had to take the breath alyser(spelled that wrong)

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

11. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

When you are old enough you can move to Nevada where we ahve no lift laws, and we don't have trail closures (or very many. I can't think of one off-hand). WE don't have lots of mud, usually only after it rains, but we do have awesome wheeling. California is only a few miles away, and their side of the Sierra has some cool trails. One is called "The Rubicon" maybe you have heard of it? [​IMG] Those Texas lift laws smack of Fascism, I think...

12. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

I live in Texas and I didn't know that we had any lift laws! I know several people that have had blazers ,suburbans, and trucks with 44" swampers w/12" suspension lift and 3" inch body lift and I never heard of anyone getting pulled over for being too tall. I did have an officer harrassing me about my tires on my jeep(36x15.5x15 SSR on 15x10 eagle 589's) sticking out too far, but I was pulled over for wreckless driving (racing a chevy truck and winning). What are Texas lift laws? 54"?57"? to the top or bottom of the bumper? or is it the headlights?top or bottom?

baldbandit

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I don't even have a license. I think they measure from the bottom of the bumper
    YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

14. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

they messure to the center of you lights and i was told it was 46 0r 48 by a guy at 4 wheel parts i run a lift and my lights are at 53 1/2 no tickets yet for lift . but alot of stupid looks . if they pull you over just be and tell them you did not know it was to hight and you will probly just get a warring unless you are a jerk to them just my 2 cents .oh yea i got pulled over and my d.l. had be taken away for 6 months and i spent 6 hours in jail for driving on a suspened d.l. and no it was not worth it so think about it before you drive with out one.

15. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Called the person that gave me my inspection sticker and its 54" from the middle of you lights to the ground.

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

16. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

Heres something for you to think about, most of the time in one of the near by towns in ohio if you get pulled over for bumper height you can take it to court and win because they have to have a designated flat spot to measure all lifted trucks to make it fair on everybody. I dont know how it is anywhere else but you might want to try using that in court. just a thought.

17. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Why are you driving if your not 16? Not to be a jerk off, but thats pretty stupid.

Brian

18. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

hey thanks 82 jimmy for calling and asking some one , thanks Bruce.

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hey, 84K5, I have to drive because my dad is disabled and my mom works all the time. It really wasn't my choice.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

20. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Well if your reason for driving is because of your parents, then assume the responsiblilty, drive legal or don't drive at all!!!!Your parents are counting on you for transportation or whatevever and you drive a illegal rig, or worse drive witha revoked license! Sounds to me if you're really that upset then you'd be willing to get your Sh#t straight...not drive till your probate is up and fix you rig til its legal.

Ever wonder what would happen if someone drove under your rig with it being illegal...and their Lawyer found out!!!!

So far the general consensous of the K5 board is to do the right thing so listen to your fellow 4x4'rs! I hate to say it but you sound like you need to grow up just a tad too! Don't take this the wrong way, shoot everybody needs to grow up some....but you really need too!

White Knight