Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can the IP act like air in the lines?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Robert79K5, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

If I let my blazer sit for a couple of days I have to turn it over for about ten seconds before it fires up , then when it does it surges a bit before smoothing out just as if I was getting air in the lines.
    I checked all of my line connections and everything appears to be good and tight. I also just replaced the lift pump last year. I will go over everything again to be sure, but I am suspicious of the injector pump. I plan to eventually replace it anyway since its old, but I was wondering if the pump on my 1982 6.2 has a secondary fuel pump in it that could be going out and possibly causing my condition. Our tractors use the same style stanadyne IP and they have this feature and it can cause these same conditions. Is there any other mechanism in the IP that could be causing this condition?
    I don't have much experience with this model IP other than installing and timing them, but I guess it's time to start learning.

Thanks in advance

2. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

Thats a good question because my truck has been having the same problem for the last 6 months or so. I just replaced my LP and both fuel filters and when i got it started i ran smoother than it ever has and didn't do the surging when i started. My IP does have a small leak on the right side above the slow/fast idle screw but it only puts out a couple drops right after i turn the truck off so i don't think that would cause the surging. I think the problem would have to be a small leak in the main line from the tank to water seperator and down to the LP since those lines arn't under alot of pressure. There are 3 small rubber hoses that link the hard lines together, and one or more of those could be the culprit. Hope this helps you out.
    AJ