Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can the Pope...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Mar 31, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Can the Pope step down from his position or must he die for a new one to be selected? Cause what I see of the man on TV these days, hes in a horrible way and doing no good as "the Pope". Hes eating through a tube now and couldn't speak to the masses outside of the Vatican yet again.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

pretty shure he has to die, once a pope always a pope

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

He can step down at anytime, but he has to want to do so.....speculation is a replacement pope will either be from Latin America or Africa. I'm betting on a Latin American pope due to the; high number of Catholics there, recent rumblings that the Catholic Church as forgotten about them, and the increase in protestants in the region. This of course would also appease the spanish in the US and abroad as well.

Pope John Paul II has a new book out called "Memory and Identity" which could have something to do with him not stepping down, IMO.

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Here's what I'd like to know... What does a Pope do? One would think I'd know since my parents are Catholic... But I'm ignorant :confused: :blush:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nowadays not as much as back in the day. Hundreds of years ago the Pope basically ran Europe(where the Catholic church had influence). Nowadays he runs Catholics. One of the problems I had with Catholicism(born and raised). In the minds of devout(sp??) Catholics, if the Pope says it, even if its to break the law, it is law. Nowadays just seems he comments on world events and the rights and wrongs of society. However whenever you hear something its "the Vatican says" implying the pope, but not actually saying the Pope. Kind of like the President and his Cabinet, can we ever know what is really being said by the Preisdent or what is just some Joe Schmo in the White House?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Interesting... I didn't know that about the pope. Isn't he supposed to be a descendant of Peter or something like that, too?

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Not sure if that used to be the case, the pope is currently elected by the college of cardinals they get together and vote who the next pope can be. The next pope could technically be any catholic male, they do not have to be priests. It only takes a simple majority of the 123 cardinals for approval.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I wathed a bigoraphy on the current pope. Seemed like a great guy in his era, but he didn't adapt to modern era prctices in my opinoin. Hell, it's always hard to turn vehicles that big.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its the Catholic church, one of the big factors of it is that its against most "modern practices".

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yes, like heat and padded pews... :crazy:

11. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

how to become pope

I just read a book that touched on the papacy and its practices, so I think all of this is accurate.

Fifteen days after the reigning Pope dies, the College of Cardinals meets in the Sistene Chapel for what they call Conclave, ie: the election of a new Pope. Conclave is held by candel light, the Cardinals have no communication whatsoever with the outside world, and they stay in the chapel until they have elected a new Pope. One Conclave in the 16th century lasted 54 days.

In order to become Pope, the man must be a Cardinal in the Roman Catholic Church, not more than 80 years of age, and elected by a majority vote of the College of Cardinals.

Autopsies are never allowed on any Pope as it is considered sanctimonious. All Popes that ever have been or ever will be are interred in the catacombs below Vatican City.

12. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Here's the bible passage that's referenced when talking about the pope's origins.

MATT 16:18:
    18And I tell you, you are Peter [Greek, Petros--a large piece of rock], and on this rock [Greek, petra--a huge rock like Gibraltar] I will build My church, and the gates of Hades (the powers of the infernal region) shall not overpower it [or be strong to its detriment or hold out against it].

Catholic history teaches that peter was the first pope, because jesus said the church would be built upon him. according to them, this passage justifies the teaching that the the pope is the leader of the church. This is also why the catholic church feels that everyone else but them is wrong. They believe that right here is where Jesus ordained the RC church to be number one.

Anti catholics feel that the roman catholic church just arbitrarily used Jesus' conversation with peter to assume control of everything. Many non catholic bible scholars feel that Jesus was referring to the faith of peter being the rock upon which the church would be built, not peter himself.

This is how wars start.

Tom

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Interesting that this is not taken as literally:

I've always considered what I've observed and learned of Catholicism to be pretty similar to what Jesus preached against; I.E. "Stations of the cross", "Last rites", "Hail Mary", etc, being just like the ritualism, the staunch rules and regulations, the leaders making the rules, etc. of the times of Jesus.

Anyway, that's just my perspective and why I'm a little intrigued by Catholicism, I'm not trying to argue or start stuff....

14. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I've often thought the same thing ( being what jesus preached against)as you, apparently so did Martin Luther. Personally, I've never gotten the whole veneration of Mary thing, but that's just me.

On a different subject

As far as what's taken literally and what isn't, I think that is why we have so many denominations... For example, the "great comission" isn't just to tell people about the risen christ, we're also commanded to heal the sick in jesus' name, cast out demons, and the same paragraph talks about how neither poison or snakes will harm the believer.

It's funny how say a baptist might talk for an hour about salvation, but in the same breath tell you Jesus doesn't heal anymore, while picking on lutherans for being all about cold dead rituals although he doesn't have an emotional connection to the holy spirit either. . And they both will laugh at the Pentecostals. Everyone's standing on different aspects of the same promise in the same book and picking on each other. I'm not surprised when non believers hear all the yelling and want nothing to do with any of it.

I guess as long as we find a place that feeds us and preaches the risen christ, that's all we need. Other believers and teachers fill in what we don't know.

Tom