Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can Thorleys be bent?? PICS

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

My Pass Side header is pionting right at the tranny's crossmember. Can I bend it somehow?
    Heat?
    Exahust Shop?
    Anyone ever bend one?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can you see how the collector bends toward the frame & the cossmember is right infront of it. I want to bend it toward the tranny. I just need an inch or two over.
    [​IMG]

ANYONE /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Yikes /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif How many inches is there between the end of the collector and the crossmember?

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I didn't measure it yet but somewere around 3" to 4"..not much. I gotta try and find Gregs pics. He used Thorleys on his BBC first gen...
    I don't know if the nickle plating will crack if I try to bend the header???

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I found a pic of Greg's , looks like his set turned that way too..
    [​IMG]
    For a lil while I was thinking I got a bogus bent header..I guess Thorley does that bend on purpose /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Howdy Steve,
    Boy if you figure a way to bend that sucker let me know. My SB Thorley's are real close to my passenger shackle. I took a torch /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif and connected a ratcheting come-along to the header and opposite frame rail to bend it. I heated and I bent, and I heated and bent some more. When I released the come-along, the durn header snapped back to it's original position. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Seems like a header can stand up to high temp ( what a surprise /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif).
    For your app, what if you pulled the cross member down and removed the upper diagonal brace in front of your pipe? You could fab up some new support going over the exhaust pipe to add strength.

Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha ya I don't know if they can be bent without damage/denting it.
    I have thought about modify the Xmember..don't realy want to. I might just need to have a crazy bend in the exhaust pipe inorder to get the collector bolted up /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I don't remember how Greg made his work....
    Thanks for the reply /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Burt

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I think the cheap easy way is a 2nd gen crossmember if the width is right, they don't use those upper brackets just the bottom frame rail.

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Hey Burt,how about useing one of those flexable couplers.
    You know,they have that stainless wrap on them.

9. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i would cut the collector and remove 2-3"s and reweld. that will give you enoughrooom to go up and over xmember! the header wont be as purdy but cover it with mud and you will never know

10. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Steve,

I’m pretty sure that Greg ended up taking a pie cut out of the passenger side and then re-welding it to get the fit right…

11. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this will help or not but Hedman makes a fairly tight "S" bend header connector. I have some off brand headers on my small block that came real close to what your situation appears to be and they solved my problem. I got them from Jegs for around $30. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif