Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can throttle cable be shortened?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Nov 23, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

Is there any way to shorten my throttle cable? I installed a projection and it sits a few inches further toward the firewall than a stock carb. the bracket for my kickdown cable and throttle cable leaves the perfect distance to the linkage but the distance between the firewall and bracket is only a few inches. the throttle cable is like 8 or 10 inches so there is a pretty tight bend in the cable which leaves me with a tight pedal that sticks sometimes. Is there a good aftermarket replacement?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm sure someone like Lokar makes what you need, but FYI, I run an '88 Camaro throttle cable in mine, that is also way too long with a decent bend in it, and it doesn't stick.

Any chance you have another cable around to try, or can try lubing the one you have up a bit?

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

What about looking up a push pull cable on Mcmaster.com. I have gotten them from there for off road buggies I have made. High quality stuff.

We forgot to order one once and just went to Autozone and asked to look through the boxes and got one we needed there.

4. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there any way to shorten my throttle cable? I installed a projection and it sits a few inches further toward the firewall than a stock carb. the bracket for my kickdown cable and throttle cable leaves the perfect distance to the linkage but the distance between the firewall and bracket is only a few inches. the throttle cable is like 8 or 10 inches so there is a pretty tight bend in the cable which leaves me with a tight pedal that sticks sometimes. Is there a good aftermarket replacement?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I had the same problem when I had that set up on mine. I think I found that a 73 was a little bit shorter than my 80. It still had a "S" bend in the cable. It will bind if the cable it worn out on the inside, you can tell if it is frayed if it snags at all. I replaced it with a new cable and didn't have any problems after that.