Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can TOO MUCH dreaming hinder sleep?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 17, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I've been having sleeping problems the last 2 months, fairly consistently. I sleep and dream, but can't stay asleep for longer than 2-4 hours at a time. And it seems like from soon after I fall asleep to each time I wake up, it's a constant state of dreams.

So far, after thinking about it, I have over the last 2 months had dreams nearly every night; each night the dreams contain people I know in them and these people rarely repeat themselves more than one night. It's as if I listed every person I know and were able to group people off that list for each dream, and then scratch them off the list and the next night have a completely different group of people I know in the dreams.

None of the dreams have any meaning... they all seem random and nonsense with the exception of the people in them. They aren't nightmares or anything that affects me deeply on any level. No matter when I go to sleep, be it 5pm or 4am... I wake up again within 2-4 hours after a series of dreams and have to fall back asleep again... then dream again for 1-4 hours and wake up. I'll be awake 2-4 or more times every night. I havent had over 6 hours of sleep in a row for over 2 months. From what I understood, dreaming indicated REM sleep, a deeper type of sleep that we need. But if I'm dreaming so much and achieving REM sleep, why am I always waking up so often.

Where are the psychologists?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

true.... err, wait a sec... no false.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as I know....no. From what I know of sleep cycles and dreams, dreams only happen during REM (rapid eye movement, not the band...the deepest stage of sleep) sleep. This is the stage your body uses to get rested.

So, in conclusion, unless they're nightmares waking you up, they shouldn't be interrupting your rest period.

4. mountainexplorer

That's what I thought too. I wonder what's wrong with me.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

There's something bothering you just below your concious, it's the guilt of hoarding 60's. Better send me one quick and alleviate your suffering.

6. mountainexplorer

No... I haven't had any Dana 60 dreams. Well, not recently. :D

Though there was a dream I had where my neighbor had a 1971 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 Crew Cab and it had an SM465/203 in it, and a Dana 44 front. Was and odd truck, but I was going to buy it from him for $350 until we got chased down the alley by a swarm of bees.

Then my dream changed to me being inside the camp trailer we've owned since I was born, and a bunch of us were camped at my place near Sacheen Lake (where that trailer isn't even at). They rocked, then pushed the trailer down a hill and it hit a tree and busted out a window, and I wanted them to replace the window and I was a bit mad about that.

Thats how weird and random these dreams are. And those are only two small parts of them that actually made enough sense for me to remember detail. All the others change so much and are so out of context I can't remember anything except the people.

Except last night someone came by and vandalized the trucks I have parked outside right now. That kind of pissed me off. Maybe I wake up when parts of my dreams make me upset.

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

It has something to do with sleep cycles, I'll hit up Wikipedia.

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

9. mountainexplorer

The part about lucid dreaming reminded me of a dream I had as a kid that I remember. I was being chased by someone or thing around a tree (didn't make much sense). All of a sudden I stopped and yelled "Stop!" and everything halted. I whip out my alarm clock in my dream which was identical to my real one, and set it to go off in 30 seconds from that mark. About 30 seconds later, I was awoken to my alarm clock going off in real life.

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Man, I hate that, where you hear an alarm in your dream, then wake up and start panicking wondering how long it's been going off, where it is, why can't you find it... Ugh. It's only 3:30.

11. mountainexplorer

I've had those too... where I set an alarm to radio and have music playing or people talking in my dream and I don't know where it's coming from, then I eventually wake up and it's the alarm.

In that one dream I had as a kid though, it was like I was expecting the alarm to go off and wake me up since I knew I was dreaming. And the second it went off in my dream as I was holding it watching it count down to 0, was the same instant my real alarm went off and I woke right up. It was kind of weird how it happened.

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The same thing happens to me occasionaly. The difference is I will sleep a full 8 hours, but during that time I have some crazy intense dreams and dont feel rested when I get up. I think it might be part of my ADD, I cant even concentrate on sleeping. My mind just swims with the most random crap.

13. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sleeping with the radio or TV on, what are eating before bed? any thing like that can cause weird dreams also

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wait until the nightmares start..

I'd not worry about "good" dreams,or ones that dont make you wake up with your heart pounding in your throat...you'll have plenty of those as you get older,and unfortunately many of them are premonitions of what's to come..

I have more than my share of "bad" dreams..many of which come true!--I get that
    deja -vu feeling,the next thing I know its happened for real..pretty eerie,and its happenned more than once to me..90% of the time its something bad,not good..:(

...if I get bothered by dreams too much I find myself staying up all night,not feeling tired at all--then sleeping during the morning and afternoon instead..for some reason,if I sleep then instead of at night,I usually sleep better and dream less,and feel much more rested..ditto if I drink,I tend to pass out as soon as my head hits the pillow,and stay asleep without dreaming..I think that is why many of us end up drinking to excess much of the time..its like "Lunesta" that comes in bottles.

I sleep with the TV or radio on,without much difference in the amount of dreams or their contnent..I like having the radio on..especially if an artist you like comes on while your asleep,and you then dream of the times you saw and met them at concerts..;)

Many times I can sleep 8-12 hours,and feel groggy and crabby all day,like I got little "real" sleep..I tend to sleep only about 4-6 hours,if I try staying in bed longer I end up with a bad backache and feel like Ka--Ka all day..

I also prefer to lie awake in bed and wake up slowly!..getting "rushed"awake by phone calls or someone always puts me in a bad mood thats hard to break!..once I'm awake,getting back to sleep isn't usually hard,but it tends to make me groggy and my sinuses all blocked the rest of the day for some reason..

I like "sleeping like a log",without being awoken by dreams,both nightmares or stupid nonsensical "regular" dreams..the dreams I hate most are the ones where your just about to bone the "girl of your dreams,"and just as you go to do it,either the alarm goes off,or something wakes you up without fail!..:mad:

Cant even get laid in my dreams!..:doah: :surepal: :blush: :screwy: :dunno: :1zhelp: