Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can TSL'S be balanced?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Sep 26, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I just bought 38.5X15.5" TSL Radials from Kal tire and they said they could'nt balance them and its not worth it. Are they bullsh*ting me here or what?
    thanks

2. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If its a radial it can be balanced but most tire places dont have balancers big enough plus they can take alot of weights.

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I threw (read: manhandled) one of my old 40" TSLs on the balancer and it said 18 oz one side and 12 other. Hmmm, with the heaviest weights I had I cover 1/2 the rim on that side and got it within 6 oz. These were also used and worn. My new 40s caome in around 6-10 oz generally. Search for golf ball and BB balancing. I would avoid powerder balancing material.

4. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

golf balls work, I have Equil in mine but like was said aviod powder ,it can clot. If I have clotting problems then I may through in 4 golf balls per tire to brake it up . I would have went with golfballs only but I was far from home and could not stand the tire hop anymore,and Equil gets blown in through the valve stem so the ride home was smooth

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I hate people like that.....it's just ignorant. Of course you can balance them, it's just more work and most shops don't have the equipment of expertise to do it... the real term you are probably looking for is "tire truing"

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86909&highlight=tire+truing

I have a set of the bias-ply TSLs and they now roll at 70mph as smooth as glass. Swampers don't typically come out of the molds in a round shape (more like egg shaped) but with the truing you can make them round, and then balancing becomes a lot easier.

:usaflag:

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

go to a place that balances Truck Tires, they can glue weight patches inside the tires for balancing them

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also i have found the bias balence best on a old style bubble balencer.