Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can U idntify rearend and shocks ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boots, Jan 5, 2003.

1. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

OK I'm still realitively new back into this stuff. we have an old utily/truckbed trailer we use for firewood and the like and I spotte the shocks yesterday and decided to crawl under and look at them today, obviously coilovers, no idea what brand or if they are rebuildable like the ones on my challenger, wich are works shocks. WHat ended up catching my eye is the two tags still bolted to the diff cover. One says "use limited slip fluid only" or something like that, the other says something like 41-10 then 4.11 wich I understand to be the gear ration that was ORGINALLY stuffed in there, not neccesarily whats in there now. It seems to be a full floater if I don't miss my guess and eyeballing the CK5 axle guide it appears to be a Dana 60. I think the bed was originally a 63 but wouldn't swear to it. Any help would be appreciated. I'm assuming anything would be better than what is currently under the blazer, a '73, would this be a relatively simple swap? If so would/should I swap out rear and springs or just rear?

Thanks
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [image]
    shocks seem to be nothing special so I deleted the pics.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Thats a D60 rear. I just sold one just like it. The coil over shocks are just some aftermarket load levelers.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

If you are interested, I know where a D 60 rear is in OUTSTANDING condition with 4.56 gears, welded dif, disc brake, 1350 yoke, and a spare axleshaft.

4. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

well I think shipping from georgia would be a little more exspensive than shipping from my front yard. And I beleive I actually have another one sitting underneath a '76 3/4 ton truck at my folk's house about 4 miles away, thanks for the offer though. Now if I don't miss my guess I SHOULD swap this in eventually. Springs and all or just the rear end? time to do a search.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

probably a 14 bolt FF under that 3/4 ton. Look similar in the fact that both have the hubs that stick through the center of the wheel.

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Swap just the rearend. Keep the springs you have.

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

A 14 would be a better swap since it will prob have bigger brakes than the ones on the 60 you showed. Look for bolts around the pinion for a sure fire way to tell if its a 14b, and itll be bigger than the 60 in the pics.

8. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

how bolt in is this swap? searching turned up lots of d60 front swaps but nada on the rear. driveshaft yokes will probably need changed out, what about perches? Anyhting else I should consider? Heck if it's not that big of a deal might just do it before it's actually on the road.

Thanks

9. cybrfire

If you are going with the possible 14BFF (the good one) all you need is an adapter ujoint. Maybe ubolts if the ones on the donor truck are to rusted to save. I can't remember if brake lines were a match. Too far back. I can't remember yesterday...

10. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

assuming I eventually go to rear disk wich would be the better build up d60 or the 14ff? No real hard core plans off the top of my head but if i have hte parts might as well. who knows what I'll end up doing wiht it around here.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Pretty straight forward. If you have a 73-87 and the bed is correct for the frame, then the D60 will need the spring perches moved in about 3/4 of and inch on either side. Your current driveshaft may be too long because the pinion on a D60 is longer than most other axles(except a D70 and so on.) Also, it will probably take a 1330 Ujoint where you probably have a 1310. Assuming the driveshaft works, you can buy a conversion Ujoint.(commonly referred to as a Bastard Joint) It is 8 lug, so if you aren't 8 lug already, you will need at least 2 wheels. You'll need new seals and probably brakes as well as fresh gear dope. Bolting it in will be easy...it's all the little bits and pieces that will add up and take time. Make sure to have the axle fully prepped and ready to go before you start to minimize your down time. Also, are you sure the gears are good in the swapping in rearend?

12. cybrfire

oh yeah forgot about the 8 lug thing. Good possibility in different ratios if you are 1/2 ton now.