Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can u use hipress hose for coolnt lines on 700r4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lazerus, Nov 10, 2002.

1. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

hey fellows,
    the steel tubing lines on my 83 are not the factory lines. it looks as though they were installed in a hurry, not real good bends, routed in the wrong places, etc. So as I hook up tranny cooler, I get ideal to replace these line with lines that look better.
    Can a just use hi press rubber hose with some proper fittings and just trash the steal lines? or, do I need to get steal lines?
    Has anyone installed a trans pressure guage or something similar to alert you of a busted coolant line/leak before you fry the tranny?
    many thanks!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes you can but i dont recomend it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif they can rub against stuff and get a hole in them also you would need to flair each end of the steel line so the hose clamp dont slip off

3. lazerus

thanks for the tips mudhog!

Next question: what does FPT stand for? NPT is national pipe thread? What are AN fittings?
    sorry, but I havent learned this language yet...

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

FPT might be Femal Pipe Thread?
    AN stands for Aircraft Navy (or Airforce Navy?)
    They are those stainless steel braided lines. They have a 37deg taper and won't mate up with any of the SAE 45deg fittings that are used in brake lines and other high pressure lines (like your tranny lines).

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whatever you do DO NOT use rubber hose, you can use neoprene hose but I still would not recommend using that for the whole length of the line. You are much better off using the steel line as far as you can then add a small piece of neoprene hose as required. The tranny fluid will attack rubber line the same as fuel would. You must use neoprene if you are going to use anything like that.

6. lazerus

Now see, this is what I like about this forum....answers and info!
    AN- I would never have figured out the 37 degree taper!!!
    About the neoprene hose- when I bought a section of hose I asked for high pressure hose that could be used as a tranny cooler hose. I will double check it, but I THINK it is neoprene. It is not vaccum hose kind of rubber. Something more like fuel line--I think.

Thanks!

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you run hose for cooler lines, make sure you get Automatic transmission cooler lines... it'll say exactly that on the hose... not just 3/8" high pressure fuel hose.
    The high pressure written on the hose is just telling you its for fuel injection like 30psi instead of up to about 10psi for a carb. The guys at the kragens counter try selling me 3/8" hose or just fuel line for my tranny cooler lines, they don't know any better. I have to tell them that it's not the same.. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    The AN fittings are nice, but they are compression fittings and you have to tape (so it won't fray) and cut the steel braided lines... (i found cable cutters work the best) then stuff the braided hose inside of the end of the compression fitting... not very easy the first time you try it.. but after you do a couple its not that bad.

I'd run hard lines for the tranny... get the adapters from summit that adapts the radiator and tranny from i think it's 5/16"NPT to a 1/4"flare fitting... those brass fittings are a be cool radiator part #. I just ordered some and had a hard time finding em.
    I like my steel braided lines and AN fittings for my fuel lines. They work good and look cool too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif