Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can we add propane to this forum?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by 55Willy, Mar 2, 2007.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm looking at the possibility of running propane on the trail rig. running a small block and I just read all the info over on gotpropane.com.

has anyone switched over?
    liked it?
    what would they do different?

GotPropane has a full change over kit for $1200 with nothing to buy but a tank and to fill it.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

With gas so cheap over there why would you want to go propane? Is there an advantage in power?
    We have LPG over here that a lot of people switch to 'cause it's less than half the price of gas, but our gas is something like $8 a gallon.
    I'm still running gas but am considering LPG for my Dodge Ram DD but the conversion is around $4000. I like hitting the Hemi hard which puts me off the LPG a bit 'cause it runs a bit hotter.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

no pump no float no needle and seats. less working parts and electrical to deal with. plus is easier to mount two seperate small tanks then it is for one big fuel tank.

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Couple things about propane:

1) It burns WAY cleaner than gasoline does, you'll pass any emissions test no problem

2) You will use approx twice as much propane to go the same distance as the same engine on gasoline

3) Propane is a very high octane fuel. If you can, bump your compression up to make use of it

4) Your bone stock engine will not have as much power on propane as it will on gasoline. Propane doesn't have nearly the energy when it burns as compared to gas

So yeah, if you want to run propane, take a run to the local shop and check the price out. If it is less than half the cost of gasoline, then it'd be worth converting for the cheaper operating costs, but if it is more than half the cost, then don't bother, cause you'll be spending more money and getting less power in the long run.

I'd look into buying a used setup if I was you, you can buy them with the tank for like 250 - 300 bucks, only thing to check for is to make sure that the tank has been recently certified, as it isn't really cheap to get done. You can install it yourself, but you will need to get it inspected before you are legally able to run it on the road.

5. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I'm considering it. I will be moving to Key West soon and dont know about the ready supply of propane down in the area, but burning cleaner and having no electronics to worry about seems pretty nice.