Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can ya paint chrome????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikeitloud, Nov 28, 2004.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

everything on jimmy is black EXCEPT my freakin bumpers!!i hate chrome more then anything so i want them black to. how do i go about painting these things black, what tools/ type of sand paper would yield the best results? thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

to get the paint to stick, you need to scuff it up with some fine sand paper or emery cloth. oyu could sand blast it also. then clean it good before you primer it.

one thing ive though of is to use por 15 metal ready not sure if it will actually work or not, just a thought, i hate chrome also. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I painted my chrome wheels black using the method described above. Use good quality paint and at least 2 coats of primer. Been holding up fine for 2 years so far.

4. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

Check out my sub I cleaned and then lightly sanded the bumpers then used rustoleum primer for heavily rusted metal and the one can of flat blck and one can of gloss black, they are holding up well, The best primer to use is called self etching primer I used it on my rims, my rims are a brand new eagle 102s yes they are alum and I painted the black they have been holding up well also. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I used a 600 grit then a 1000 grit with sucess. That was 3 years ago and they still look good.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

powdercoating loves good chrome...