Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CAN YOU AFFORD??????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Jul 1, 2002.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Can you afford this much per day 0.0684931506849315068493150684931507 I can... I know, I know, it's ALMOST 6.9¢ a day.... How do I afford it you say, well....I don't drink as much, yet again another jawdropper... Thats right folks, I let those little orphans in other country's starve, instead of give up CK5. Maybe I'll quit drinking coffee and help them too... Oh wait I don't drink coffee.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Truth be told I can't spare an extra $25 right now. If I wasn't a paid member currently I would not be able to join anytime soon. The job I currently work pays me $150 less than my bills are every month...

Maybe we could all back off on the paying for a membership guilt trip just a little...or if you can still afford the 6.9 cents a day buy a membership for someone else and prove it/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

My two cents (I had to borrow that...)

Rene

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Hell, if it came down to it, I'd go donate plasma. Don't understand why they call it donateing when they pay ya for it. Come to think of it, yer selling yer body, so isn't it prostution ???? I'd be a CK5 Hoe, LOL /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. tRustyK5

Well up here donating blood means donating it./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Rene, if you weren't a member, I'd happily buy you one. You make wonderful contributions to this site. Worth every penny /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. tRustyK5

Thanks Pam. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I try to help when I can, like the majority of people here including yourself. I've learned a bunch from your various posts and reply's to others as well. I admire the way you research the problems you run across...very thorough!

My point was that I intimately understand the money issue for a lot of non members. Human nature is to push back when pushed...so those on the fence may just be pushing back with all the 'buy a membership' hype going on. I also want a lot more people to help contribute and participate fully on this site. I just don't want to push them away while trying... It is worth the money and then some.

We all collectively make this site what it is, and hopefully enough of us will be willing and able to keep it sustainable.

Rene

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Oops yeah almost ..07¢ a day wow look at all the money I just saved.hehehe, I guess I'll start drinkin' coffee...LOL /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'll go and add the decimal point that I forgot...LOL /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

You? High on caffeine? That would not be a pretty sight! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

There's nothing pretty about, me being loaded on caffine, it's a scary thing....I'm more of a depressent kinda guy...LOL /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

IM looking for hand-outs. Seeing how im not on work study i can not get foodstamps for the summer (4 month) because (get this) i dont work enough!!!! haha because i am a student i have to work 20 hours a week to qualify durring the summer, but durring the regular year i dont have to work at all (only 5 hours week), or if i didnt attend school in the summer and didnt work then i would still get them. (get that?) so in short that sucks. lucky the wife is working this summer (2 jobs unfortunatly) ((300 miles away even more unfortunatly)) /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    <font color="blue"> FOR ONLY 6.9 cents A DAY YOU CAN HELP SUPPORT A WIFELESS STUDENT'S WHEELING PROBLEM </font color>
    <font color="red"> with your recipt of your donation you will reviece a color photo of the person you are sponcering along with the blazer your kind donation helped to build </font color>
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Maybe we could all back off on the paying for a membership guilt trip just a little...or if you can still afford the 6.9 cents a day buy a membership for someone else and prove it

[/ QUOTE ]

Im in the same boat as Rene. Right now I dont have the extra bucks. The job change I took recently came w/ a $4-500 a WEEK pay cut. That adds up to $1600-2000 on a 4 pay week month and $2000-2500 a month on a 5 pay week month. That will put a MAJOR dent in your lifestyle. I am still trying to adapt to the drop in pay.

Which brings me to the next SNAFU. I have been trying to get into fabrication and axle building to try to make up the difference, so I need to be a member to post in the for sale forums! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Its a good thing I have a good sense of humor. LOL!

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You're welcome... and thank you.

I understand what you're saying. And yes, I agree, there's a lot of good, sincere people making contribution to the site. I think most probably could afford to fork over $25. But there are some notable exceptions. Maybe there should be some honorary awards of membership for guys who truly are in need and who's contributions warrant it. Or maybe somebody could earn a membership by contributing a tech article or doing some work for the site or helping Steve with something. I'm sure he would consider it on a case by case basis if someone asked him. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Steve when you go to sell things you fab up I'll let you put up pics and stuff on a webpage on my site... then you can have people look at your stuff there and they can email you about the deal... would this work? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Rene,

I tried to have a Memberhsip drive and it went down with the Titanic. I even offered to pay for someone. I am so poor, I cant even pay attention. My K5 has taken every penny of mine in the past month and my project hasn't even begun!

17. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I think the membership push should be backed off just a little. Like lots of other things, it is personal preference. I would hate to see some people excluded because they weren't a "paid," member. There are numerous non-members that contribute valuable info to this site and to anyone wanting help from it. Just my $.02 worth.

18. tRustyK5

Neil, I recall the post "paying it forward" etc./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

When i get into a better position money wise i may try your idea...see how far forward it goes.

Rene

19. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Now that the time is closer, maybe we should try resurrecting it. I'd play.

20. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Thanks Steph! If I could even put a link to them would be cool. I am still scribbling up ideas for stuff. I have a few things ready to build, and a few I am still working on planning. What I need now is time. That, and for things to quit hitting me at the wrong time! It seems that I get ready to start working on stuff and something happens. Today I lost a joint and killed my driveshaft. So now I need to get the 14 installed before I planned. I need to get a shaft built, so I may as well get it built to take a 14b U joint.