Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you build a cage BEFORE you buy seats?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by perp, Feb 11, 2006.

1. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I am about ready to start bending tube on my roll cage but somehow I never got around to ordering the seats:doah: (I do not even have the stock ones) is it possible to measure / eyeball / whatever and put in seats later or am i retarded for even considering it? Let me know what your experiences or opinions are.

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you could get the basic cage done then when you get seats run your tube for the seat mounts at that point.

3. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

that is what i was thinking, just want to make sure the B pillar isn't in the way. anyone have a picture of where the b pillar goes through the floor with or without a seat in it. my truck is a 77 k5, if anyone posts a pic please tell me the year as i think some of the body tub floors are different for different years. Thanks

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Anyone you know have the seats you want? Maybe you could borrow one for a couple hours to use for mock up?

5. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

No one around here, i got access to a bench but that won't do. I am considering buying a cheapo from Four Wheeler or somewhere and using it to mock up around. you think the sand rail seats are similar? i got freinds with those

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I think one guy here built his cage and after he got the seats bolted in found out the top tubes was too close to his head. I think he lowered his seat even a bit but it was still too close for safety's sake. so he cut it out and is starting over. just dont make the same mistake.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

shouldn't be hard to do everything but the seat-mounting on the cage first, and then add that part when you get them in-hand...

j