Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you check my list....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am going over to JP0863's house within the next couple of days to pick up some 3/4 ton axles out of a parts truck and I am making a list of what I need to get w/ some links....please check it over and let me know what I might be missing. Oh and I PM'd him to make sure he grabbed the upper spring plate (since I heard I would need that too) and the ubolts since they are longer than what I have now.
    I have a teacher who is going to help me cut and re-weld the perches to fix the driveshaft angle for the rear 14ff. Oh and my driveshaft is about 2" too short right now and is pulling the tailshaft out of the tc so this 14ff swap will help push that back in so don't worry about listing getting the shaft cut down.

s44 to 1350 conversion joint...
    PUJ447 NAPA part #
    http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=PUJ&PartNumber=447&Description=Univeral+Joint+(U-Joint)+-+Combination+-+Universal

The big question lately is in the rim/tire department...I can't decide what to do. Most posts say that if I run a 15" rim I'll have to shave but isn't that what the trucks came w/ originally? I can't picture them coming w/ a 16" rim from the factory.
    If a 15" rim will work I'd like to stick w/ that because of the price of tires, plus I could use my current tires temporarily until I get some new ones. Either way the main question is in regards to bs...I know what it is but don't know how to measure what I would need or if you all know what I would need being that this is a swap that has been done a bazillion times, 3/4 ton swap to a 1985 K10....so some suggestions in this department would be appreciated.

Oh and I'm trying to stick w/ 4wheelparts because I know a guy locally named Collin who has a dealer's license to the distributor that 4wheelparts uses so he said he will get me whatever I want for 10% over cost as long as 4wheelparts carries it. So thats good. But I know Summit has some nice deals on some plain 8 lug black rims which I'm fine with.

Finally I have some extended ss brake lines on the truck already since I needed them w/ the 9" lift. Will those work with the 14ff/d44 or will I need new ends, or something completely different?

Thanks guys...oh and I was planning on updating this first post when I get part numbers and specific items.

-Avery

2. Avery4jc

anyone? btt for the afternoon guys...

-Avery

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the calipers are the same between both front ends so use your current calipers that way you don't have to crack into the front brakes 3/4 tons came stock with 16 or 16.5 wheels stock if you want to run 15 inch wheels be prepared to grind the calipers a bit how much you grind depends on wheel backspacing. as for the rear 15" wheels will clear the drums and your current brake line SHOULD work

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Backspacing is fromt he edge of the inside lip of the rim to the wheel mounting surface.

Your brakelines should work, you might have to drill the end out slightly for the front (i dont remember if the 10 bolts or 44's have a bigger hole, either way you should be fine)

15" rims should clear 3/4 ton brakes, the differance in size of brakes is not huge

Dont reuse those u bolts, get new ones

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6. Avery4jc

Ok you lost me on why I would swap over and use my current calipers...because I don't have to crack into the front brakes?

I saw those and actually loved them, they are a bit $$$ but might be worth it...functionality and bling all wrapped up into one package....ok what about backspacing...I must sound retarted at this point but how would I measure what I needed to get or do you guys already know what would work...or would it depend on what tires I'm getting?

Thanks!

-Avery

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yes your 10 bolt calipers will bolt directly to a 3/4 tin axle.

Ira

8. Avery4jc

Ohhhh so he was saying that b/c the rear drums on the 14ff will clear a 15" rim but the fronts are snug...so if I swap over my brakes from my front 10b onto the front 8 lug d44 I'm getting then I can stick w/ 15" rims w/o the grinding...thanks

-Avery

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

No that is not what he said. 44 and 10 bolt calipers will interchange. Therefore to avoid bleeding your front calipers do not disconnect the brake lines just unhook the calipers and hang them out of the way when you do you axle change and then put the 1/2 ton calipers on the 3/4 ton axle. They are physically the same caliper just look them up on parts america they will have the same part #. 15s will clear the 14FF no problem that is what I currently run with the 3.5" wide drums. For the front some people have to grind the casting flash off of the calipers others dont grind anything some grind more than others. It is hit or miss.

Ira

10. Avery4jc

I checked and they don't make those rims in a 15" size w/ 8 lug....
    I'll look for something on Summit, I like those 8 lug black/chrome steelies that they have....plus they are pretty cheap.

-Avery

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep 15" 8 lug only come in steel. Aluminum rims are a lot thicker than steel and you would def have clearance issues with a 15" aluminum if they made them.

Ira

12. Avery4jc

OH ok, I see what you are saying...that is a good idea.

-Avery

13. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have helped do about a dozen or so 3/4 ton swaps and everytime I have had to grind to fit 15" rims. Its not a big deal though. So don't worry about it.

14. Avery4jc

Yeah thats what I was thinking...I'm not worried the least bit about this project like I normally do about similar stuff. Mostly because soooo many people have done this swap I know that it can be done.

So anyone have some suggestions for rims? I might just go to the local wheel place and see if they can order some steel "chevy" 8 lug rims w/ 3.5 bs in the 15X10 flavor. Sound about right? I'm thinking because I run a 16" wide tire I will need a 10" wide rim....

-Avery

15. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

16. Avery4jc

Thanks...this is one that I like...
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CRR%2D3425180&N=700+4294923107+4294923105+4294906428+4294795084+4294793325+115&autoview=sku

So as far as back spacing goes what do most of you guys run that have 3/4 ton gear in your 1/2 ton truck w/ tires in the 38.5"X16" range? The ones above have 4" of bs...

I don't really like the rainbow around the lip but I can take that off or paint it down the road if I can't stand it. Plus for the price those look like they will fit my budget and requirements.

-Avery

17. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

15" rims are a bandaid, not an ideal cocept. Only use the 15" rim if you are using tires you already have and can't afford to upgrade. If you are buying new tires, just get the bigger rims with less radical backspacing. That way your tires won't stick out as far making your truck a cop magnet. 17" H2 wheels can be found cheaper than new 15" steels.

18. Avery4jc

Yeah but tires for those bigger rims are generally more expensive and your choices begin to dwendle....16.5's have options but no safety bead, 16's work but the choices are too few, 15's seem just right.
    Oh and w/ more bs the tires would pull in, less bs and they are pushed out...at least according to this...
    http://coloradok5.com/d60calipergrind.shtml

-Avery

19. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

plus 15" wheeled tires you have that much more sidewall for more footprint aired down

20. Avery4jc

which is good since once my truck is done the majority of my off-road runs will be to Oceano Dunes at Pismo beach....lots of sand to play in.

-Avery