Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you convert...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Nov 8, 2003.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

a 76 or later top to a pre 76 full top?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

2. Yes you can do this. Several people here have done it. You can even use a full conv. hard top if you use a 73-75 windshield frame. Just do a search for "full convertible conversion" and you should find more info than you'd like.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I've done it. My "73" is a 87 tub. But there are several posts on the subject.

4. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Well I searchedbefore I posted, but even with the proper phrasing, I still didnt see how to be able to use a 73-75 top... Lots of posts on just cutting it off, but I didnt see one for replacing the later top with the earlier top.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If you're talking hard top you'll probably have to get the windshield frame off a 73-75 tub and attatch it to your existing tub. If you're doing the soft top conversion you cut off your roof and half cab to a certain point and bolt up the brackets etc. to run the soft top. At least that's what I think you do... I might be able to tell you more next year when I chop my top off and run a full soft top. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif