Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you explain this Can Can???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CDA 455, Apr 25, 2007.

1. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

• [​IMG]
    • April 25: Environment Minister John Baird announces the federal government's countrywide ban on the sale of incandescent light bulbs by 2012, at a news conference in Ottawa, Canada.
    So Canadians will have to buy bulbs that are three to five times more expensive once the ban is complete?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Those bulbs also last 3-5 times longer and are more efficient... We use them at my house, no reason not to. There was a noticable differance int he bill also...within 2 months they paid for themselves:eek1:

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Why so long. Just ban the sale of them in 1 or 2 years. 5 years seems a little long, but I guess, better late than never.

The only problem I have with the flour bulbs is some lamp shades don't fit on them.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i JUST started using them here and there...

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've been using them for over 2 years now. They do work. In my current home, the electric bill I just paid this past Friday was $30.08 for the previous month. The month before was $35-something.

I think the electric companies will catch on with the usage of these bulbs and start raising the rates to compensate for the loss.
    Then when they do, and the use of air conditioners begin, the bills will really skyrocket.

Theres no solution to this. All utility companies are going to raise their rates because they want to and to get more money. Its not just about the usage of the utility but more and more about the money.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Depending on where they are manufactured , they could interfere with radio communications , which is bad for amatuer radio operators , noise comes on the radio if they are anywhere near one of those lights ....... for the rest of the public it could interfere with a myriad of other taken for granted radio devices found commonly in day to day life .

Thread on the same subject where I hang out about radios everyday .

I only have problems with the T8's in my garage when they are on , but I have these all over my house , Sylvania brand , with no problems at all .

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

The only ill affect ive noticed witht hem is slow atrt up times. They take a minute or two to get bright.

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I'm looking at this from a business point of view.

If you look in any large home improvement center, you'll notice that incandescent light bulbs oot sells the other much more efficient bulbs.

There's a specific reason for this: The old bulbs are super duper cheap!

Excellent points, but so what. If the market sales say people buy the old ones far more than the new ones, then that should speak for themselves. Not a government come in and dictate it.

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yes, I can explain it. It's very simple:

Governments everywhere like to meddle with our lives. :rotfl: :rotfl:

That being said, I run those bulbs wherever I can. They are way more efficient, as others have already said. For those of you who claim they are too expensive, even knowing that they use less power which essentially means they pay for themselves, remember that as they become more and more popular, the prices will drop.

BTW, Wes, unless things are different south of the border, utilities are probably making LESS of a profit than your average energy company out there. Atco Gas, the outfit I work for, is a regulated utility, and because of their monopoly status, they are only allowed to make between 8 - 10% profit in any given year. The tradeoff is that they are GUARANTEED to make that profit due to the nature of the business.

10. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Deregulation in Texas. Check TXU's profits over the last couple of years. Those sumbitches have been making a killing. Of course the demand for electricty could always go down, then they'd go broke.:rolleyes:

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

This is true but more efficent bulbs = less energy used... When your talking about a whole country thats a big savings in energy...

The general person is too stupid/ cheap to go "hey, these bulbs last longer, are better for the enviroment, and will save me money" they simply look at the price and how it affects them at this very moment....

I say good. Because the benefits can improve the quality of our world, why not? Not to sound like an ultra liberal but this is an easy affective step that will benefit everyone. Beside as can said, the more that are produced, the cheaper they will become.

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

In ct there was a 22% hike last year and then another 8% hike in electric rates this year:eek1:

13. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The rates in TX are tied to natural gas prices, which have been on the rise. But TXU generates most of their power off coal. Makes a lot of sense...

14. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've had some as long as 4 years in constant use.
    I use them to replace all the old style when they burn out.

15. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I think economics 101 is in order here.

By forcing oot competition, one prolongs price reduction (cause and effect).

If the American people want to buy the old bulbs, I say let them. Let the market forces dictate it, not the government.

16. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I understand what your saying but this is no differant than saying "All new automobiles must meet x emissons requirments by year xxxx"

The bulbs are a good thing and the average comsumer is a moron...I understand why your against it, but i see no reason a law shouldnt be in place...

17. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I use the flourescent bulbs all over the house. The only buld I have that takes a long time to start up is the one on my 55 gallon aquarium. It's a 48" flourescent. It's a no brainer, why use a 100 watt light bulb when a 28 watt flourescent produces the same amount of lumens? The kilowatt-hours you're spending on lighting is reduced by about 75%.

It's nice not having to keep many spare bulbs around, too :)

18. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

Vehicles pollute directly.

Old bulbs are less efficient. Where is the tangible comparison?

19. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

The appartment complex I live in runs those bulbs everywhere possible.

As far as utility bills going up, I dont know all about that but I had a friend in college her dad was totally freaked up utilitys skyrocketing someday and with a livestock operation he didnt like the idea of it. Solar Panels all over on that farm and last year they put a windmill generator up. She said their completely self sufficient now

20. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I tried those bulbs once and found that they are not designed to work with dimmers