Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you fill me in on AutoCAD?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, May 12, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I was just wonder where to get it, how much I should expect to pay, are there any significant differences, year to year? Anyone selling a copy? etc... Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal, I sell this stuff for a living, so hang on /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There are dealers all over the world, so where to get it is a moot point.

How much to pay, well, that's where it can get ugly. A copy of straight AutoCAD 2004 will run you around $3,395.00. If you don't need all the 3D, the you can look at AutoCAD LT 2004. It only costs about $725. You can also buy LT from Amazon. Best Buy has it every now and then, but I haven't been there recently to see if it's still on the shelf.

The differences from year to year, version to version can take me a few pages to type out. Best place for that info is www.autodesk.com

The only people that can sell you a copy are authorized dealers. Autodesk does not allow liscense transfers. If somebody bought a copy, then they are stuck with it unless their company is bought in full, assets included.

A few people on here will prb tell you to go to Kazza or some sililar program and just download a hacked copy. I will be upfront with you on this one, that is software piracy and if you would like, I can send you my picture so that you can actually see someone that looses a LOT of money because of that. The software is expensive, there is no denying that, but please don't pirate it. Not only does it hurt the average Joe like myself, but it's a federal crime.

If you are a student somewhere, it may be possible to get an education version for a discounted price. I'm unclear on the pricing schedule for that, I'm not an educational dealer.

Hope this helps.

KP

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

You can get the Autocad LT for about $400 if your a student.

4. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

Depending on what you are drawing I would recommend staying away from AutoCAD because of the costs associated with it. I use AutoCAD and VectorWorks and happen to like VectorWork better, but ACAD is much more powerful. Just depends on what you are drawing. If we are talking Fabrication for you truck and such I would go ACAD since it will be more widely supported in machine shops.

BUT, again it is mostly about preference. Vectorworks is much more elegant IMHO. And before a flame war erupts, I have been using ACAD since 1990.

Check it out: http://www.nemetschek.net/products/index.html

Cheaper too! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Yeah I was just curious because I thought it would be cool if it wcould be had for cheap but I had no idea /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That it was that expensive. Yes I am a student but it is still too pricy. Thanks for all you help though. Later
    -fLeXy K20

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I bought my Acad LT 1.0 for $195, think 2.0 was a bit more. My take on their purchase of GeneriCAD was to have an entry level program. How $795 now qualifies as entry level is beyond me.

As far as I'm concerned I own the right to my copy and I can sell it if I so please. I will not clone it, nor will it share it, but I may sell it whole and complete w/o keeping a copy of it. All of my purchased software is licensed to "user" specifically for this reason.
    I think Autodesk is out of bounds trying to forbid transfers. That would be like GM saying "OK, with the purchase of this car you agree to only sell it back to a GM dealer and not to any private party." Yea, right. The only reason it sticks is because people have better things to do with their money and time than telling Autodesk to go piss up a rope.

For ~$3300 I'll add the extra ~$200 and get SolidWorks, a far better 3D program. Lest anyone think I'm just an Autodesk hater, I started with Release 11.

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I got Solid Edge for free from school. Definitly try and hook it up through school, or if you're already out maybe through the local jc? Good luck.

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a hard time imagining someone who just wants to play around with AutoCAD paying that kind of money.
    We can say that that guy is loosing money if Flexy K20 spends 10 minutes on Kazaa, but do you really think he would buy it even if Kazaa was not around?
    I am not suggesting software piracy is GOOD for software manifacturers or retailers, but it is not ALWAYS a horrible thing either.
    -- Mike

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as I'm concerned I own the right to my copy and I can sell it if I so please. I will not clone it, nor will it share it, but I may sell it whole and complete w/o keeping a copy of it. All of my purchased software is licensed to "user" specifically for this reason.
    I think Autodesk is out of bounds trying to forbid transfers. That would be like GM saying "OK, with the purchase of this car you agree to only sell it back to a GM dealer and not to any private party." Yea, right. The only reason it sticks is because people have better things to do with their money and time than telling Autodesk to go piss up a rope.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason they do that is not just to piss you off. There were people buying it up in bulk geting a huge discount then turning around and selling it back. GREAT you say, whats so wrong with that? Autodesk has a very strict system as to who can legally sell their software. For the same reason, I want to see you try and sell a copy of Windows XP or NT or 98 or ... Try doing it with most any software. Once it is registered to you, it's yours. The point I'm trying to make here is it's not just Autodesk that's doing it. Before you get all pissy about it, read your EULA. It's pretty clear in there. It's not a new deal, it's been that way for quite a while. It's not that way because people don't tell Autodesk off, TRUST ME, but anyone who bought the software, if they read the EULA, will see that. I'll bet there is something similar in Solidworks EULA as well. By you accepting the terms of the EULA, AND YOU DID OR THE SOFTWARE WOULD NOT HAVE LOADED, then your first statement up above is void. You own the right to your copy, but you can't sell it.

Now, all that being said, if I was on my own at the house wanting to do a little drafting, I'd prb. pick up a peice of paper and a pencil, it's a lot more in my price range.

10. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

Given the do-it-yourself nature of CK5 I am suprised that not many here are Linux users. There are several CAD Apps availible under the GPL license which does not restrict users in the ways a EULA does. Check it out:

http://www.gnu.org/directory/design/cad/

Windows = Jeep
    Linux = K5
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Agreed, except that Linux doesn't have the EVERYWHERE availablity that Windows does, as well as "new trick, old dog" type of feeling. For a lot of people, Windows is the standard that is in the office, and available to home systems, more users, more support (to a point) Using your analogy, look at the aftermarket support for Jeeps vs. Blazers. The same often applies to Windows vs. Linux

There are several alternatives to using AutoCAD, for the average Joe user, I would suggest these. Going to BestBuy can net someone some pretty decent CAD software for what they are trying to do for cheap. Most every CAD program on the market will export to a DXF (drawing exchange format) so you can still share with others.

12. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...I am suprised that not many here are Linux users.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

GPL Software on FreeBSD rocks!

It's much more fun to get free software that is faster and has better technical resources (the Web) that to pay big $$$ for a bloated product from someone who hires $3./hour monkeys to provide support.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you can buy autocad for $20-30 same as any other program from any software pirate.
    heck it is advertised in the local trader paper here

14. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Get SolidWorks. It kicks ass. I am a SolidWorks drafter/designer, I do this stuff for a living. AutoCAD is ok, I used it when I worked for Cummins, but Purolator used SW and I love it. Well, I hate my job and my employer, but I love SolidWorks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you can buy autocad for $20-30 same as any other program from any software pirate.
    heck it is advertised in the local trader paper here

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. that is a federal offense.
    Some people don't understand what that sort of thing does to me. I am a comisioned salesman, those lost sales REALLY hurt me. I fully understand that most "at-home" users that are just sketching out a new bumper etc. don't need to pay the $3k that this stuff can cost, but you would be suprised the number of company's that will buy one of those $30 copies then load it 100 times in their company. They'll make a ton of money off of it, but don't worry about me trying to provide for my family /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh well, I guess I'll keep trying to sell to the honest people, to bad they are few and far between these days...

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a salesman lamenting about honesty....pulease
    you better not have any mp3s on your HDD

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a salesman lamenting about honesty....pulease
    you better not have any mp3s on your HDD

[/ QUOTE ]

No sir, I DO NOT have MP3's on my machine. That is not something that I will fall in line with.

Don't give me the B.S. about honesty and being a salesman. You basically just called me a liar and/or a cheat. Names that I WILL NOT be called. I DO NOT mislead my clients. I have lost potentially LARGE sales due to honesty. I will not force something on someone that they don't need, just for a buck. Strangely enough, we are succesful with this attitude. Sure, we don't make a ton of money right now, but a happy client, will be a return client.

Before you start laying names out there, you might want to learn more about the person you are dealing with. Ask the folks on this board that I have dealt with, I am honest. Period. If you have had problems with salesmen in the past, I'm sorry, but do NOT lump all salesmen into the greased hair used car folks. That would be like me saying that ALL Canadians are self righteous jerks. I'll base that on your one comment above, although I know better. I've talked with you via email before, and know that you are a knowledgable person, so how does my generalization fit? It doesn't.

18. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

And all cops suck butt too /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hey wait a minute I smell BACON...oh shucks, its just me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I personally dont lump people together, I learned from experience that this can be bad news, and not to mention down right painful.

Depdog

19. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Search the web for IMSI TurboCAD and IntelliCAD 2000 I downloaded these for free from their sites. Sorry I don't have links. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

reel to reel, cassete, vcr's, cd burners, mp3's, dvd, burners....technology has always opened doors. Money is being made on one end of the spectrum, and lost on the other. Sony makes burners, yet produces music that is copied from these burners...think about it.

Remember....its illegal to drive over the speed limit.........