Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you flip a 205?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKSRULE, May 23, 2003.

1. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

I am wondering if you can flip a 205 Transfer case. I am looking for a gear drive case for my Jeep with a GM drivetrain. I know you can flip a Dana 300 but then you also need an adapter to mate it to a GM tranny. I figured if I could flip a 205 to get the fron shaft on the driver's side it would save getting an adapter.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Why not just get a Ford 205? Strong 31 spline input, dual 32 spline outputs, driver's side drop... Putting it behind a GM tranny requires swapping the input. If it's not going behind a TH400, you would need to sleeve the case for a smaller bearing (or find one with the right dims). Only thing left is the adapter. You could use the round pattern adapter/retainer with a 32 spline TH400 input. Or you could use the 31 spline input and put it behind a 203 using a doubler adapter. Not sure how you would mount it behind a TH350/700. 465 could use a late model 32 spline and round adapter to make it work easily.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

But if you flip it you can just use the Ford 205! Keith's doubler is like that.

4. BadDog

I'm not following you on that. Flip what?

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Now, how could Keith have a Ford NP205 behind his Doubler? He as a GM D60 right? Diff on the Passenger side and your saying T-Case drop on the drivers side? He might have Frod parts in his GM Case, but I never knew he went all Frod. Lets hear your specs Keith! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My NP203 range box is upside down, the NP205 is clocked to where the inputs and outputs are level. I've never heard of running an NP205 upside down, but I would assume it could be done. There aren't any oil passages or pumps in an NP205, it relys on oil sling and climbing gear lube. You should be able to clock it that way, but remember to drill and tap for a drain and vent. You will also want to drill and tap the detent ball holes and look out, you may create some severe leakage at the shift rails.

6. bigjbear

You answered it yourself [ QUOTE ]
    running an NP205 upside down

[/ QUOTE ] A ford 205 upsidedown has the front output on the R/H side.

7. bigjbear

Flip a Ford 205 for a Chevy or a Chevy for L/H drop.

8. BadDog

That's what I thought, but the poster wants a drivers side drop. So he needs to flip a GM or use a Ford, not flip a Ford. Didn't get much sleep last night, you confused me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeep with a GM drivetrain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm interested in more info on this since I am planning to do the same thing. The only difference is I plan to use a set of 1 ton GM axles with a GM t case. Mine is a 92 YJ.

10. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

Wayne,
    E-mail me with any questions you have. Me and a friend have been building GM powered Jeeps for years. My current one is a 383/700R4 with a Jeep 231 with a 241 shaft installed. The big issue is you have to get a special tail shaft installed in the tranny because Jeep T-cases have a 23 spline input. I am looking for a GM case that will work so that I can avoid having to do the special tranny. I know advance adapters has an adapter to put a D-300 to a 700R4. But then you have to flip the 300 (driver's side drop) This is another reason that I asked about a SYE in a 241. If it is the same or shorter than a 231 it would work great.

If you are going to use GM axles it wouldn't be an issue as the shaft would be on the passengers side.