Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you get degree shims more than 6 degrees? And if so, then where?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Dec 1, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

All I've found so far is a 6 degree shim and I think I need 8 or 10 degree shims for my back axle. Will they have to be custom made or does somebody make them?

2. 76k5Blazer

76k5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would just weld on new spring perches and correct the angle that way is its out that far

But thats just me /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Tyler, Try clicking on the A-Tron banner above. We just made a 8 degree for a fellow member. We will be glad to do it your way.

4. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the link. Those 12 degrees look so tempting /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess I'll have to go get an angle gauge now. I've got 8" lift springs, I saw on the High Angle Drivelines product review that they had the Zero Rates tapered to 6 degrees. Is it safe to assume that with my 8" lift, I will need 8 degrees or more? My t-case has been lowered 1" as well. Thanks

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

IIRC, 6* is the last "safe" shim. going over that , things get squirlelly (sp?)

I would have them rewelded. One less variable. Are you running a CV shaft? plan to?

7. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Yep, I ordered a CV shaft, just figurin out what I'm gonna do to stop the vibrations. I've got 4 degree shims on there now, but I don't think that's gonna be enough.

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am running 9" of lift (4" bds springs, 4" ord shackle flip, and the offsetting block) in the back of my K5. I have the high angle 1350 cv with a 241 sye. I also have a 14 bolt FF moved 1.5" back using an offsetting block I made. I am running 6 degree shims in the back of mine with no vibrations. The best thing to do is buy the angle guage and measure. Guessing may just cost you more money. I thought I would need the 8 or 10 degree shims, but after doing the measurements, I found that I only needed 6.

I have a set of steel 8 degree shims I bought from the link above. These are brand new and never installed. If you think you can use them, let me know maybe we can do a little discounting on the parts I am buying from you.

Here is another link that sells steel shims.