Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you have an electric/manual tailgate crank?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nitrodrip350, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

I was reading either LMC or Chevy Duty and I saw a part listing for the rear tailgate with electric and a manual crank as well? Is this interchangeable with the strictly electric one? Or am I just completely reading this wrong? I want to change out to a manual since my damn motors keep burning out. I tried searching Chevy Duty but it's either too many results or none! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Shane -

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've never heard of a tailgate being both electric and manual, sure you were reading the LMC catalog correctly?

But to answer your question, yes i believe you can change out your electic stuff for manual stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

try running some thicker gauge wire tat way your not starving the motor for power which is what helps accelerate the wear on the motor.

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

You can definitly go from electric to manual. I did it, I got everything from my local GM dealer for the same prices LMC and chevyduty and all the others but with out the shipping costs. Just go there get a regulator, handle, lock cylinder, lock paul, E-clip, lock spring, new gasket for outside handle, and you're in business.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Nitrodrip350

How much was the total cost to do this?

Shane -

6. Nitrodrip350

So is that the wire from the loom to the motor? Or do I have to get a larger wire all the way back?

Shane -

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

After experiencing my pops 77 blazer snapping off 2 handles for the rear window I switched my 79 to electric. My only problem is the cable I got from the salvage yard is toast. Both the motor and the window tranny work well. I have yet to see an aftermarket place sell this cable, would the dealership have one or is there a better route?

sorry for the hijack but i can tell ya from personal experience the manual and electric window are swappable and direct bolt in.

8. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

yeah, I know my manual is screwed up, I just bought all the stuff for the handle and locking, but the regulator skipped or something so it is uneven about a toothy.. I want to go power badly... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif what is all needed for power???

9. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

It cost me 200 bucks all new from my GM dealer. As for people breaking the handles off, that to me is from lack of maintenece and being too rough with the handles. If you grease them when you first put it together, then maybe clean it and re-grease it every 5 years or so, I bet you'll never break one like so many have. It was totally worth it in my book, The window will always go down WHEN you want it to no matter how cold it is out or how low your battery is.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer

10. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

not technically hijacking.... but, i have a oppositional problem to the above post. my rear window literally flies down, but refuses to go back up unless i am forcing it by hand to raise. is that likely a transmission problem or where should i start?

11. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

The transmission has a built in spring that prevents the glass from flying down and assists you while putting it up, Sounds like yours is broken. I'm not sure if the spring is a replaceable part or if you have to buy the whole regulator. But it sounds like you need a spring.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer