Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can you have too big of a tranny cooler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Nov 29, 2003.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have 2 options to cool my 400

1. Get a regular plain jane big cooler
    a) i like this idea but it puts another thing in front of my rad and i still havn't figured out my cooling problem.
    b. its cheap

2. use my roommates super bada$$ big cooler w/ integrated electric fan
    a. i like this idea cause well its bada$$ and i know it will do its givin job
    b. i don't have to mount it in front of the rad.
    c. its basically free
    d. said roomate is know to be a crybaby later on down the road---he likes to refer favors.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yes you can...
    1:figure out cooling problem
    2:buy plane jane cooler for trans and put it in front of rad, or under vehicle, but up out of the way enough where it wont get dragged over rocks..and is easy to hose dirt and mud, etc out of..

3. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I talked with the guy from 700r4.com. He said that no matter which type of external cooler you use you should still run the trans fluid through the stock rad in conjunction with the external cooler. This provides some temperature stability and longevity to your trans.

4. SCOOBYDANNN

There is a problem w/ that---i had a standard tranny stock and don't have a factory tranny cooler inside the rad.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a problem w/ that---i had a standard tranny stock and don't have a factory tranny cooler inside the rad.

[/ QUOTE ] Better get a different radiator.

6. SCOOBYDANNN

im on a tight budget right now, but that is an option

7. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

So run some of the tubing from the tranny around one of the radiator hoses. Make sure you don't restrict the flow. The direct contact will use conduction to transfer some heat.

Also there are some problems in the great white north with tranny coolers freezing up. Make sure yours doesn't do that.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    So run some of the tubing from the tranny around one of the radiator hoses. Make sure you don't restrict the flow. The direct contact will use conduction to transfer some heat.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I think the gains from that would be minable. You need water to come in contact with the tubing not a rubber hose.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Given your situation I would run just the big one with the fan...just make sure you hook up the fan to either a automatic temp switch (I bet one for a radiator would work fine) or a gage and only turn the fan on when it is needed.

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I dont know about big but I know a blazer running three coolers /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    If I remember right it goes to a front cooler, factory cooler, then another aftermarket cooler.
    Only thing I see maybe the tranny pump handling the extra pressure/volume? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Get a large cooler, and throw a t-stat on it so that it doesn't get any flow until the fluid has warmed up.

12. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought that all of the radiators had an internal tranny cooler in them, but the radiators in the standard tranny trucks had screw in plugs in the holes for the cooler. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Never hurts to have more cooling potential then you need. The goal is to maintain about 180f of temp. That's just hot enough to cause and mosture in the fluid to become vapor but not hot enough to burn the fluid or harden the seals. There are Thermostatic Bypass's available that will passively maintain 180. I just block off the airflow to the AUX cooler in the winter with a peice of cardboard and watch the tranny temp gage.

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I talked with the guy from 700r4.com. He said that no matter which type of external cooler you use you should still run the trans fluid through the stock rad in conjunction with the external cooler. This provides some temperature stability and longevity to your trans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran the 11" x 11" stacked plate cooler I got from afcoracing.com in series with the stock radiator cooler. It gets the hot fluid first, then on to the stock cooler. That way I know that the fluid is cooled, and I know that the fluid reaches the all important minimum temp to boil out any condensation. Plumbing it this way IS harder on the fluid though. Service the trans more frequently if you go this way.
    I also put a 265* temp switch in the trans pan that turns on a warning light, just in case. The switch is an over the counter VDO part.

Most of the oil t-stats by-pass a little oil thru the cooler so that an air bubble can''t form there. Not sure if this is an issue or not. Does have the potential to delay the tran's reaching operating temp. You can find the t-stats on BAT's page. Baker's page, and CB Performance's page to name a few.