Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you help ID an Electrac?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Nov 16, 2005.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I thinking of buying a Blazer with what a guy says is a Detroit Electrac in the front D44. He tells me, "It is a posi when it is off and a locker when on" Are there any other lockers that this could be? Aside from cracking the diff open (which I guess he wouldn't be happy about) is there any way to confirm this? I assume not.

Thanks for any help. Jason.

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Take a look at the differential cover. The electratrac has a big square thing welded in that houses the solonoid (i think). I looks like this.

DSC00016a_t.jpg

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

It definitely has that. Are there other companies that make an electric locker?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes there are a few that make them, Eaton is another, E-locker I believe.

I checked on Pirate about the locker you are talking about, and the results at the time were pretty negative. Lots of problems with it, not sure if those are things that have been fixed, or a flawed design in general. It was enough to make me drop it from consideration.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Too bad. I was actually looking at that as a selling feature. Do you remember any specifics?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think the main problem was that the solenoid used to operate it just wasn't able to get whatever it was moving (shift fork?) to move when you asked it to.

Go over to Pirate and search their forums, if the name is electrac, then searching that should find you plenty of posts. These were reports from actual use, I think there may have been a post or two saying it worked no problem.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

That's great, thanks I will do that? Anyone else with some first hand knowledge?