Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you help me troubleshhot?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by RingMaster4x4, Aug 19, 2003.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well I have two 15" subs and a 2000 watt amp and a 5 Fr. Cap. So here is the problem I was riding around lessoning to the radio and it work great well when home turned it off. So I come out the next day and get in the truck. Turn on the radio and now if I turn it up to past 10 on the volume the amp starts jumping between Protect and ready but if I turn it back down I will work. All the other speaker in the front work fine. Any help is greatly needed. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

what is the amp? what are the subs?

sounds like you have loose wire.

3. RingMaster4x4

Don't laugh. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The amp is a Boss Klash and the subs are Rockford Fosgate HX2 2215's. I am going to check all the wires tonight.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like:

1. A short
    2. Blown Voice Coil
    3. Unnaturally low ohm load due to wiring config

Pull the speaker wires off the amp and measure each sub...see if either one shows 0 ohms.... that would be bad.

If each speaker is on it's own channel, there's not much chance that the ohm load is too low for the amp... usually that stuff only happens when "paralleling" a bunch of speakers together and hanging them off a single amp channel.

Bad amp? You get what you pay for....and based on your comments, I think you already know that amp might be "a suspect"..... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. RingMaster4x4

what is the best way to check for a blown Voice coil?

I have used a few Boss amps and two have worked good. The only reason I have not bought a "good" amp is because I have not found a permanent setup yet.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well the "smell" might be a giveaway....or maybe some mechanical binding if you push on the cone. But really it's just the ohmmeter that's going to tell you what you need to know.

Stuff around 4 ohms is probably normal.....but almost ZERO or something very HIGH resistance wise is not normal.

Also check for any small wire strands that may have splintered off the speaker wire that could possibly be shorting across the terminals....either at the amp, or speaker.....sometimes little stuff like that is easy to forget and it will seem "intermittent" with vibration, etc.

7. RingMaster4x4

Re: Can you help me troubleshoot?

Ok well it was the amp I replaced it with a different amp and now it works. Now one channel is a little intermittent I think it is this amp. The channel being intermittent is why I replaced it. I tested both speaker and the ohms were at 2 ohms. That is the way I have them wired.

So in conclusion I guess I need to replace the amp. Thanks for your help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Can you help me troubleshoot?

Look no futher MMATS Radicals Tint & Alarm
    3009 Blanco Road
    San Anton, TX. 7821209
    Phone# (210) 732-3277 is the only MMATS dealer in TX that I found.