Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you make a C10 into a C20??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, May 13, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I was wondering if you wanted to put a 14bolt rear in a C10 pickup,could you swap the front end over to 8 lugs as well to match??--I know 3/4 ton 2wd's use bigger ball joints,but I'm not sure if they would fit in a 1/2 tons "A" frame or not--I'm thinking you'd have to swap everything including the "A" frames--but another guy claims all you need to do is swap wheel bearing cups and cones to a mix of the 2 and it works???--I don't think thats true!....anyone done such a swap???- :confused: -I have a friend who's thinking of doing this to his C10 to better carry a heavy slide in camper.. :crazy:

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

in the final planning stages for my brothers truck, and yeah, you have to swap the control arms over (well, the lower anyway, you can just change the upper ball joint) for us, it will both upper and lower control arms, steering knuckle assemblys, as well as rear springs, and a 14bff

3. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Another part of the c20 & c30 suspension that makes it stronger is that the control arms are mounted solidly to the frame with bronze bushings, instead of the rubber setup of the 1/2 tons. If he wants to use the stronger control arm pivots, he will most likely need new control arms.

4. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

Yes the parts do swap but all needs to be swaped

I swaped out the ft of mine 85 burb 1/2 ton to a 89 burb 3/4 ton and it all swaped out

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats what I thought...

Yeah,I thought the 20 and 30 series had steel or bronze bushings instead of rubber insert ones ,they thread into the A frame....Thanks guys,he was wondering just how much of the C20 at the boneyard to remove-(I told him to take the complete "wish bone" engine crossmember/"A" frame assembly just in case! :blush: )....and 4 - 8 lug rims to replace his 15" ones..he already has a 14 bolt FF from a 1 ton single axle truck he's parted out...( I think he's nuts to even consider this,but thats just my opinion--and its HIS truck!..he might as well put his parts to use I geuss..

I told him for the distance the truck gets driven and where it goes,I would not loose too much sleep over the 1/2 ton suspension--his truck already has a 12 bolt rear and 8 leaves in the rear from a 3/4 ton truck,it does not sag at all, or sway TOO badly,but I can see his point,it IS a long,ass heavy camper he's hauling...but he's afraid of an axle snapping off and seeing his tires pass him on the freeway!-

-I told him he MIGHT eat a wheel bearing sooner than usual,if anything,but GM axles aren't THAT poor,I've had 3 tons of cordwood in a 10 bolt 1/2 ton with no apparent damage many times,and I pounded the truck in and out of the woods to get it!...

I think its a lot of work for little or no reason--but he likes the 14 bolts 4.10 ratio,his 12 bolt has 3.08's(cant say I blame him there!)...I said to maybe just carry 2 spares and just put the REAR end in only,and live with 2 different bolt patterns--the front doesn't get as much weight as the rear does,and its a ton more work to swap all that stuff just to gain a marginal improvement and the frame and brakes are the same as a 3/4 ton is already....all that just so the same rims fit all 4 hubs.. :screwy: :surepal: --thats all I'd do if it were me--if I did anything at all that is! :ignore: --I'd run it the way it is!--maybe buy some nice new 8 ply rated tires for the OEM rims and I bet he'd never have a problem with the 1/2 ton running gear.. :crazy:

6. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

This is not as big of a job as one might think, it took me a days time to tear down both susp, that also includes plateing and makeing gussets(this was in my tuff truck) trying to fig out how to rebend the frame to make things fit. Also in this time I replaced the large cross member

After you are done make sure you take it to a good allinement shop that knows what they are doing. This past year took a buddys truck for alinement and they did not know how do deal with the shims :mad:

Find some tall jack stands and poot thoes on the frame right below the ft doors to make life easy.

Any ??? just ask

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  7. raptorparts

raptorparts Registered Member

1/2 to 3/4

i converted my half to a 3/4 and put 33/12.50's on it. with that big a tire, the frame would flex enough to loosen the bolts holding the upper control arm on and all the shims would fall out. i latter figured out that the studs coming out of the frame to hold the upper arm on are smaller on a half than a 3/4. i made some bushings to take up the slack and that helped but not nearly as much as putting the bolt-on 1 ton frame supports and the middle crossmemebr found on the 3/4s for the driveshaft carrier bearing. the truck drives alot better after that bit of stiffning and haven't lost the shims in forever.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah dont forget the frame braces under the negine mount trees on the 3/4 and 1 tons
    add them to the 1/2 ton

its not that big of deal converting form 1/2 to 3/4,. swap lower arms and spindles out and thats about it really, pretty much,

its all bolt on swap

72 and older even the 1/2 ton were solid bushings BTW, no rubber bushings were made yet

for 73-up the 1/2 tons got rubber bushings
    and 3/4 and 1 ton kept the solids

then in 81 they got even lighter cheaper, GM even stated that they lightened up the front suspension metal that year