Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you make your own 1 wire alternator?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKSRULE, Jul 17, 2003.

1. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

I have a alternator that I got from Summit a few years ago that is a one wire hookup. It is great just put a wire on the terminal and get it to the battery and you are done. Problem is that it is an older V-belt style. Now I want to swap in a serpantine belt setup and can't use this one. Is there a way to convert a 89 GM alternator over to a 1 wire type setup? It is going in my 383 powered Jeep so there aren't many wires to hook it up the way it is supose to go.

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Cant you just swap the pully ?

I took a serpentine (CS-130) alt and just swapped the pully to a V-belt for my ElCamino setup.

3. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

That wouldn't work for me. The 1 wire alernator that I have is the old style and not anywhere near the same size or shape as the one that goes into the serpantine setup.

I have to find a way to turn the 89 into a 1 wire alternator or a way to hook up the wires that plug into the 89 alternator to run the voltage requlato. I asked this a few weeks ago but no one seemed to know how to do it. I called painless wiring and they were no help at all. The offered to sell me an entire truck harness to make the alternator work.

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

5. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

Thanks that is what I need. I think.