Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you mount a fuel tank on either side?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

So far, I've only seen the 88+ c/k pickups have gas tanks on the drivers side between the frame rail.

Other than the exhaust being on the passenger side, is there anything preventing you from installing the gas tank on the passenger side instead? I want to move the exhaust to the outside of the frame rail and put an auxiliary tank on the passenger side, but wanted to know if there is any existing mounts to put the straps into.

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

could you take the gas tanks out of an older chevy and fit it between the frame and bed?

that is how mine are.. love my dual tanks....

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I you are sucessful in doing this to the Blazer, take pics and post up. I would love an aux tank in my 'Burb.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Measure your frame width- the 88+IFS trucks have a wider frame than the previous gens... a standard C/K tank will not fit, it will have drive shaft interference. (Not to mention the tank is made to fit the shape of the frame)

I was acutally talking about fitting a 88+IFS tank into an 88+ IFS truck though.. lol...

But yes, I have looked at sticking anothe rfuel tank in the k5- it *CAN* be done, but you need to have a special tank made- and it would only be about 20-25 gallons unless you dont care about how low the tank runs.