Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you permanently lock automatic hubs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Oct 31, 2004.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

can you, and with the drag on the t-case front output be that bad for it?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

why would you want to permanently lock them when they are automatic??

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

the crappy stock ones? just buy aftermarket lockouts or drive flanges.

running with your hubs locked all the time (or drive flanges) won't hurt your transfer case. it may rob a little bit of power, but look at all the vehicles with fulltime 4x, and newer trucks and Jeeps with no hubs. no transfer case problems with those.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

driiiiiiiiive flanges, the fulltime 4x4 treat /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

(tune of rice-a-roni)

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Depending on the t-case it can be bad for the transfer case.
    Some were not designed to be operated this way. To say that they do it on newer ones... by not. Bad example.

[ QUOTE ]
    the crappy stock ones? just buy aftermarket lockouts or drive flanges.

running with your hubs locked all the time (or drive flanges) won't hurt your transfer case. it may rob a little bit of power, but look at all the vehicles with fulltime 4x, and newer trucks and Jeeps with no hubs. no transfer case problems with those.

[/ QUOTE ]

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

how would it make a difference?
    I understand that some t-cases were never meant to be used with drive flanges. but how would it affect them? I am sure there are lots of ppl running 205's with drive flanges, and this setup never came stock.

if it makes a difference, I drove for 2 winters with my truck and there would be long stretches where I would just leave the hubs locked and put the tcase in 2 Hi. this never negatively affected anything. my old rockwell tcase did die, but that was because the seals went bad, it leaked all the gear oil out, and burned up the bearings, and they jumped out of their races into the case. the front output was still fine.

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I didnt quite explain myself right.

I was just saying that since a new truck or a differant truck ro some other truck does it... doesnt mean its ok for all.

There are some t-cases that you can destroy while flat towing. Just as I would think there are some that might not like the front output spinning constant.

I should just shut my mouth now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The reason they don't like flat towing is that the parts that lube them would not be turning.

As long as the front input is turning (IE, you're moving) the front shaft can spin indefinitely and never hurt a thing.

9. mahorney

mahorney Registered Member

This may be related to misunderstandings about different 4x4 setups. My dad always told me not to drive in 4 on the street and that seemed to be the thing people said about 4x4s. He used to say it was because the axles didn't turn at the same speed and needed slippage. But, that's not the case if the gears are the same in the front and back and the diffs are open, so long as the transfer case is the same on both outputs. Are they the same on both outputs? I assume they are.

I think this may have been misconception carried over from early 4x4s with locked differentials and axles trying to turn at different speeds in corners. In that case something has to give, preferably the tires.

Running with hubs locked won't do anything wrong to a 10b. In fact the service says to lock them for 10 miles a month to keep everything lubricated. Whether or not you engage the transfer case shouldn't make much difference. But I would think that it would be good idea to engage transfer case ocassionally for same reason. I think it's the seals that need the periodic lubrication, not the gears. Seems like the seals would dry out over time if not, especially in dry climates.

Mark