Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Can you put a V belt pulley on any alternator?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Oct 20, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have this crazy new idea. Autozone is running a thing this week where we get 30% off anything in the store. The 140 A alternator from this article runs $96.99 so that means I can pick one up for under 70 bones.

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/echa_140a.html

The question is, will I be able to run a V belt on it? I don't really want to swap to a serpentine setup as I don't think that's all that exiting. Will my V belt junk bolt to it?

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I am told you can swap the pulley from your old alternator to the new one to stay with the v-belt set-up. I am planning on doing a similar swap and have the alterbator, just haven't got around to it yet. You also need an adapter for the wiring harness.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, I know about the adapter, no biggie. With the winch on the way and the aux. electric fan in the plans, I'd like to get this too.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    oh and I will be nice, one time only mind you, here is a post that may or may not have some useful info

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I missed that before. So let me get this straight.

I should run a new wire to the battery so I don't melt my stock charging wire and use the adapter plug and I'm good to go, right?

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Hmmmm, have ya compared the size to your alternator yet? I think you about the same setup as I do.

Just to let ya know, my A/C lines might present a problem, so I haven't hooked mine up yet until I get the lines redone. Also, if your setup is like mine, with the alternator on the passenger side, it will not fit the top bracket. I have fabbed an extension so it will fit.

And the list price at your store is $96.99, people are getting ripped /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

You should be able to. All that is behind any pulley is a spacer. just make sure after you change the pulley, it still clear's the housing, if it does'nt scrounge up another spacer or two at any alternator/generator rebuild shop. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It won't fit the top bracket? What is necessary to make it fit?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    And the list price at your store is $96.99, people are getting ripped

[/ QUOTE ]

People pay $150+ without a problem for a 1 or 2 year warranty alternator with that kind of output. This is a lifetime unit.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    And the list price at your store is $96.99, people are getting ripped

[/ QUOTE ]

People pay $150+ without a problem for a 1 or 2 year warranty alternator with that kind of output. This is a lifetime unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

$90 for a 1 year warranty. Could have gotten lifetime at PepGirls for $150.

As for the bracket, the top of the alternator will not go down far enough, it rubs against the bracket.

What I did was this. I got another bracket, and cut out the slotted part of the bracket, and that will get attached as an extension to the bracket. The alternator will be sitting almost straight up and down. I tested the fit and it worked, but I will probably weld the extension for a little peace of mind stability.

If you have A/C lines, then there is more to worry about. Though there was clearance, the lines were all of about 1/8th of an inch off of the rotor, so those will be moved (custom lines) when it is time to hook everything up.

The bracket idea to me sounds a little ghetto, and it looks a little ghetto; but I couldn't come up with anything better. Looked around for custom options, such as the adjustable rods, but couldn't find anything that looked like it would work.

If you do this soon, take pics and post. Mine won't be hooked up for a few months since I either have a move/build-up getting ready to go down.

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It won't fit the top bracket? What is necessary to make it fit?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's time to bend and fit "custom bracketry". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[quote$90 for a 1 year warranty. Could have gotten lifetime at PepGirls for $150.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets see...$150 at PepGirls or $96.99 at AZ, both for lifetime warranty units. I wonder which one I'd choose?

I wouldn't even bother looking at the 1 year units from AZ, but it is cheaper yet. If you pay $150 for that alternator, you're getting ripped. AZ has it every day with a lifetime for $96.99.

I am going to postpone the project if the extra bracketry will be necessary.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You have to be able to put a v-belt on that alternator..Olds motors weren't setup for serpentine.

(except the 4.3 diesel or somesuch other bastard-child Olds motor, and I guarantee, whoever wrote that article doesn't run one of those)